1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very Quiet sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phreak5758, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Phreak5758

Phreak5758 Thread Starter

I just recently built a box for my dad using a Soyo P4IS2 motherboard with the onboard ac97 sound.

Now the problem is when it is installed and all the drivers are updated the sound is very quiet. You have to have all the sound settings turned up all the way in order to hear it at all. I've ran through windows settings in order to be sure the sound wasn't turned down somewhere. Eventually I installed a soundblaster live 5.1 and I am having the same problems... The speakers are good, I tested them on my Soyo that I built for myself.

I guess what I am wondering is if anyone else has had this problem and if so have you found some way to solve it I'm lost.

Soyo P4IS2
    2.0 ghz Celeron
    400 (supposed) fsb
    768 mb's SDRAM
    Windows XP Pro sp1
    ATI Radeon 8500 LE 128mb
    Sound Blaster Live 5.1

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

Everytime I have seen that problem it meant I had the speakers plugged into the wrong jack on the back of the computers.

3. Phreak5758

Nope, Checked that on both the onboard and Soundblaster live... Plugged the speakers into every jack on the sb live in fact just to be sure I was reading it correctly....

Am I the only one that thinks they need bigger letters on the back?:D

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

That's why they are color coded now :D

1) Any errors when you run dxdiag?

2) Have you checked for IRQ conflicts (acacandy is the irq conflict expert but though I would mention it)

5. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Green is for speakers :D

What other cards to you have in the system? Try taking out everything except the video card.

6. Phreak5758

Nope there are no errors of any kind or IRQ Conflicts that I have found. I've been all over the computer like I have said and have had Win ME XP home and Pro installed. The only other thing in the box is a D-link ethernet card, which xp was showing as a realtek. I'm going to remove that card tomorow and see if it helps any. Seems off though even adding another soundcard that I would still have the same problem.

Thank you

Color Coding is a wonderful thing :cool:

7. simonkeeps

simonkeeps It's My Birthday!

with your system you should be able to rattle some
    windows, it does seem to be a software issue since
    it has happened with 2 different soundcards. Have
    you checked everyting there is to look at in the
    audio properties? There actually is an overall
    sound device volume buried in XP. Did you check
    to see if that is up around half way at least?

8. Phreak5758

Everything related to sound I can find in Windows is maxed. I'm having problems with the video card showing red squiggly lines across the screen when the start menu is open as well. I'm wondering if there could be a conflict with that I haven't been able to track down. As it stands right now I've seen alot of people with similar problems with soyo's sound at least the Intel boards.

Doesn't make sense to me.... He should have went with an AMD :D

9. Phreak5758

I have everything except the video card and NIC out right now trying to get this figured out... Took The soundblaster Live 5.1 out and am trying it in my pc now I took a look at msinfo and this is what it has

IRQ 11 Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC OK
    IRQ 11 Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442 OK
    IRQ 11 Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller - 2443 OK
    IRQ 11 Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller OK

I dont have a realtek ethernet card I have a dlink Could this be related?

And /or is that to much to be sharing on one IRQ?

10. vesselle

vesselle

weeeelll, where sound is concerned.....

so, what does device manager show? any lovely lil red x's or yellow ? marks?

V***V

11. Phreak5758

Device Manager is fine. Everything installed correctly. I still have very little sound. Spent over and hour on Soyo's tech support today on hold. Then when I talked to the tech he told me that I need to install the drivers that came with the motherboard.... So I did.... AGAIN. I removed what was being shown as a "realtek" Ethernet card and installed another one which is showing correctly now, and I have taken every piece of hardware out of the computer possible and swapped with something else and/or changed slots. I'm out of ideas now and I'm begining to think that this is a problem with the actual motherboard and not a conflict.

:mad:

Thanks again guys for the wonderful help it's MOST appreciated

12. Rumble

Rumble

I have also had a motherboard upgrade to Aopen AK73(a) with the avance 97 sound and have hardly any sound. The volume controls have to be up full ball to hear anything. When I went back to the bloke who sold me the motherboard, he said that the old motherboard had amplified sound and that my speakers were not amplified or powered and I needed to buy new (amplified)speakers.

I didn't buy the speakers, but this is leading me to believe that there is more to this tale than meets the eye!

13. Phreak5758

Rumble it's odd that you mention that because I plugged in amplified speakers last night after all this and you get decent sound... It still does not have the range it should... The bass is distorted and the high range is squeaky but it seems to work like that

I am still not impressed with Soyo's intel boards or tigerdirect.com I read some other posts about tiger here and have decided from now on to take my business elsewhere

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119422

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice