1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very Slow Browsing Speed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Adam0912s, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Adam0912s

Adam0912s Thread Starter

Hi. I just bought a Virgin 20Mb broadband package, downloads work fine and near enough at that speed but browsing the internet takes forever to load webpages (30sec-1 min). On Speedtest.net it showed my download speed was 19Mb/s but my upload speed was just 0.16Mb/s, I'm gathering this is the reason why browsing is so slow. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. Oh and if you ask for any logs or any information could you explain how to get it in realy simple terms please because I don't know or understand any of the techno language. Thank you!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try booting in Safe Mode with Networking with a wired connection directly to the modem or router and run the speed test again.

3. Adam0912s

Adam0912s Thread Starter

There was no change in either download (19.45Mb/s), upload (0.16Mb/s) or browsing times.

NB. The other laptops in the household all work fine. This/my laptop works fine when using wireless internet at the local library and worked fine in my old house with BT broadband. The only time browsing is very slow is when I'm using it at home.

4. JohnWill

Well, I'd have to suspect some sort of firewall, Internet Security application, or malware. It seems tied to a specific environment, that suggests it's keying on the IP address and/or subnet you connect through at home.

5. Adam0912s

Adam0912s Thread Starter

Is there anything you recommend I can do about this? I've used AVG and Spybot, but neither have helped. I've tried turning off the firewall too. Thanks.

6. JohnWill

Well, I'd download and install the latest network drivers for sure. Failing that, I'd be forced to try a new cable and a new port on the router. If that doesn't work, the NIC would be the next thing I'd replace.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/952166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice