Very slow computer, HDD drive light on near constantly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Muzz1978

Hi, hope you can help!

History to my problem...
Over the last month or so my pc began to intermittently slow right down. I am running windows 7 as my o/s. This has fairly rapidly become more and more frequent to the point where it is almost constantly running at this slow pace.

I have posted this in the hardware section as the HDD light at the fron of the pc is almost constantly on while this slow pace happens. This is the case right from boot up, so i figure is a hardware issue rather than a windows one.

I have tried cleaning the inside of the pc, resetting the RAM, as well as scanning the HDD and the RAM for errors. Nothing has resulted in an error being discovered.

I have also tried unplugging all hardware other than a usb keyboard, (brand new) videocard and the other essentials. This hasn't helped either.

Please can anyone help me with this, or point me in a good place to 'start'?

Hello there. Several questions:

1.) Have you "Defragmented" your drive recently?

2.) Have you scanned your computer for malware recently?

3.) What percentage of your drive (in MY COMPUTER) is showing as FREE/USED space?
(Drives that are nearly full with data can slow down a computer's speed significantly)

4.) Does your drive make any "noise" such as grinding, clicking etc?

5.) Do you have a "Disk Health" utility that you can use to check your hard drive for errors?

-----
Press CTRL + ALT + DEL. Then choose "Task Manager." Next, click on the "Performance" tab. What is your CPU usage?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online