1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very Slow Disk Transfer speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LHE, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LHE

LHE Thread Starter

Hi All:
    Before I gave up on this latest project, I thought I should see if there were any words of wisdom from the Forum.

The issue is VERY slow hard drive transfer speed.

The problem PC is about a 3 year old Elite P6SET-ML mother board c/w 433 MHz Socket 370 Celeron with a Maxtor 8.7 GB Ultra 66 disk drive. RAM = 196MB. WIN98SE is installed and fully updated.

The problem is this PC has ALWAYS had very low disk transfer speed. It is so slow it is ridiculous. Any activity like boot up, IE Explorer or the loading a program like MS Word is very slow and is obvious from the drive activity. Sys Soft Sandra gives a measurement of 4082. This is about half the speed it should be.

I have:

Updated the Bios to the latest version
    Replaced the IDE drivers with the latest version from Elite.
    Replaced the existing 40 wire IDE ribbon cable with a 80 wire version.
    Replaced the hard drive with a new 40GB Maxtor.

I did get slight transfer speed increases by replacing the IDE driver and the newer drive but it is still painfully slow. A mixmaster would describe the activity nicely!

I realize that a fix would be to install a Promise Ultra card or probably more sensible, upgrade the MB/CPU. However, I just could not accept that any MB/drive combo could be this slow unless there was a specific fault. Other MB/drives I have worked or built of the same CPU speed and vintage are substantially faster than this particular unit.

Any ideas before I throw in the towel?

2. southerngq

southerngq

disregard

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice