1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very Slow Download Speeds - Sub 10 KB/Sec

Discussion in 'Networking' started by saintlysimon79, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saintlysimon79

saintlysimon79 Thread Starter

Hello TSG,

I hope you can help.

Firstly, I have searched the forums for help regarding my issue, and tried a few things.

Nothing has worked so far.

My problem is this, I have just switched from Cable Broadband, trhugh fibre optics, to ADSL.

And I have to say, I wish I never did.

I went for the top package available to me, unlimited downloads, with a connection speed of upto 8Mb.

I know from running tests I can get upto 6.5Mb in my area.

So, had a professional from BT pop round and install my new Bt Home Hub wireless router and setup the web on both my laptop and desk top.

The laptop has a wireless built in, from Intel. The engineer installed a wireless USB adapter for my desktop, the BT Voyager 1055 Turbo 11g.

He installed Macfee secutiry on both laptop and desk top.

When arriving home after the install I tested my download speeds through;

http://www.speedtest.net/

And supprisingly my laptop was fine, getting speeds of around 6.5mbs

However, my desktop was only achieving speeds of 0.5mbs!

So thinking it could be the fact my desktop was stuck in the corner of my spare room, and perhaps not picking up a great signal, I moved the whole unit about 2 metetrs from the Wireless Hub.

Still only getting around 1.4Mbs.

Then I removed Macfee from my PC, firslty it had slowed my system down anyway, and secondly my system had crashed twice. Which was wierd, as it hasnt crashed in three years before the install.

Now my speeds are much better, getting speeds of 7Mbs !

Fantasic right?

No.

For some unknown reason my download speeds from certain websites are terribly slow.

One example is video downloads from the site www. videobox .com

I have been a member for a long time, four weeks ago through my cable connection of 10Mbs I was achieving download speeds of between 150KB/Sec to 400 KB/Sec

The best I have achieved in the last three days is 9.4 KB/Sec !!!!! :confused::confused::confused:

Couple this with other websites I use, which are also HORRIFICALLY slow on content download.

Now even when I try and stream conent from sites such as Youtube or similar, my download speeds of HORRIFIC!

Which is why Im totally lost!

The speed test suggests I have amazing download speeds,

But when I come to actually download any conent from the web, BOOM, it's slower than dialup!

Also, the strange thing is my Laptop is getting better speeds, but not by much. From Videobox or youtube or similar, content download speeds seem to be around 25 to 30KB/Sec, which is still very slow, but not as slow as the desktop...

Please help me.......

Saintly...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/813823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice