1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very slow internet speed on my main computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shinghan, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shinghan

shinghan Thread Starter

Hey people! My main computer's internet has been very slow. I'm getting only 30 mbps when I should be getting 150 mbps. All of my other devices get 150 mbps speeds. I get full speeds when connected with an ethernet cable. I have a qualcomm atheros ar9287 network adapter installed. The router I'm using is a Cisco DPC3848V. Any help is appreciated!

2. Sponsor

3. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

How are you connected, 802.11 "b" max is ~5.5Mbps, "a" and "g" max out at ~20 Mbps, etc. WiFi operates at the highest possible speed that both endpoints can support. For example, an 802.11g laptop connected to an 802.11n router will only work at the lower speed of "g". In other words, both devices need to support the same standard in order to operate at those speeds.

Also, are there any physical obstructions in the line of sight between devices? What's the distance between the devices? Is there any radio interference in the area?

Wikipedia: WiFi > Interference
    Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What wireless driver do you have installed, and from where did you download it?

5. shinghan

shinghan Thread Starter

I used a CD to install the driver. The distance is only 3 meters. There are no obstructions between the devices.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And from where did you get the driver on the CD you used?

7. shinghan

shinghan Thread Starter

EDIT: I fixed it by uninstalling the driver and reinstalling through the CD

8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202734