1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very slow speeds when transfering files using wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hyphy, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hyphy

hyphy Thread Starter

hi,
    I have recently setup a wireless network at home. I am using a Belkin 54g router. My Desktop is directly connected to the router with a cat5 cable and the laptop is "hooked" up using wireless.

I wanted to transfer some files from the desktop to the laptop but it takes a very long time to transfer. For example a 1gig file takes about 20mins. I thought the speed was 54Mbs, so why does it take so long to transfer?
    I tested the intenet speeds on both the desktop and laptop and they come out the same. My internet connection on both the Desktop and laptop is at 2.3Mbs(as expected). The laptop is showing that its speed is at 54Mbs. But I don't think internet connection speed should matter in this case because all i'm doing is transfering files between 2 networked computers.

I'm just confused because I expected the files to move over rapidly. Can someone tell me what I can do to solve this problem.

Thanks

2. bosshogg151

bosshogg151

Plug the laptop into the router with a cat 5 cable and try it that way. Wireless can be slowed down by things like microwave ovens, cordless phones, and location of router.

3. Rockn

Rockn

There is a lot of overhead on a wireless connection that can slow down your transfers. The above that were mentioned will effect the speed. The encryption of secured networks aslo adds some ovrhead to the connection dropping it even lower. Also if you have a mixed 802.11g abd 802.11g network the speed on your G will be slower. In real world applications you will probably only get around 25MB/sec, even on the LAN

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You are lucky if you get 25mbit/sec transfers on wireless, which translates into maybe 3mbyte/sec transfer over a perfect 802.11g connection. However, since there's quite a bit of handshake with SMB protocol, and 802.11b/g is half-duplex, you will probably not even see this speed, probably closer to 2mbyte/sec. Of course, if you have more than one connected wireless machine, those speed will plummet.

5. hyphy

hyphy Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I will connect the laptop using cable then.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That will yield MUCH faster speeds. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/475416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice