1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very Slow Startup!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by cbrown6305, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cbrown6305

cbrown6305 Thread Starter

Hi. I'm running windows 98 and my system is taking up to 15 min. to completely startup. Only have 128 MB of ram, but the startup has been MUCH faster in the past. While loading startup programs the red "data loading light" (or whatever its called) works in waves. It constantly freezes the entire system momentarily making it unable to load or move the mouse. Alot of the time the program waol.exe will "not respond" and sometimes explorer.exe will have to close. The startup is so frustrating. I've checked my startup list in msconfig and it seems to be pretty sound. I also just cleaned my system with the assistance of Spybot, Ad-aware, Hijack This, and a helpful tech on this website. Any ideas to improve my horrible startup time?

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

Hi very little needs to run at start up..
    What do you have ruuning in msconfig?

3. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

It looks to me like you're using "AOL Hell" for an internet service provider and a browser. :mad: (n)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You said there's 128 MB of RAM, but you didn't say what the processor type and speed is. Also, how large is the hard drive and how much free space is there?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click Start - Run, type in MSCONFIG, then click OK - "Startup" tab. How many entries besides ScanRegistry and SystemTray and the antivirus program have a checkmark next to them?

4. cbrown6305

Programs Besides ScanRegistry and SystemTray and the antivirus program:

AOL Fast Start "C:\PROGRAM FILES\AMERICA ONLINE 9.0\AOL.EXE"-b
    TaskMonitor C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Rundll32.exe powrprof.dl,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    StillImageMonitor C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    AOLDialer C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
    HostManager C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1120611383\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
    AOL Spyware Protection "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSPScheduler.exe"
    IPHSend C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\IPHSend\IPHsend.exe
    hpidschd.exe -log -- -log "C\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Instant Delivery\hpidschd.exe
    HPSCANMonitor C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpsjvxd.exe
    RealTray C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    SchedulingAgent mstask.exe
    AOL TopSpeedMonitor C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
    AolAcsDaemon1 C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLACSD.EXE

These two entries aren't checked but they look a little suspicious:

load= ptsnoop.exe
    run= hpfsched

5. flavallee

You can uncheck the following:

TaskMonitor C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe

LoadPowerProfile Rundll32.exe powrprof.dl,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    (Note: Make sure BOTH startup entries with this name are unchecked)

RealTray C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER

SchedulingAgent mstask.exe

load= ptsnoop.exe

run= hpfsched

Click Apply - OK and then reboot afterwards.

If you make use of this site, you'll probably discover that you can uncheck a few more startup entries.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. cbrown6305

Unchecked your selections and i checked out that website and eliminated more. Startup still sucks! Oh well, i guess its just something i have to live with.

7. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

8. flavallee

Write down all entries in the "Startup" tab that are still checked, then post that list here.

Open the following TEMP folders:

C:\TEMP

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

Delete all files and folders from inside both TEMP folders.

(Note: Not all computers have a C:\TEMP folder)

I asked you a question in #3 and blues_harp28 reminded you in #7. You haven't answered it yet.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/499323