1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved very slow wireless speeds...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by larryh10000, Nov 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larryh10000

larryh10000 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 900 @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 3002 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 7 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 216 GB (164 GB Free); D: 16 GB (2 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1605
    Antivirus: Norton Security, Enabled and Updated

My ISP is Cox and use their dual band router. I have three hp desktop computers that I have tested and connected to the router hard wired. On each of these I am getting about 60 Mbps which is great and I realize they would get much better speeds hard wired than my 2 laptops running wireless. My two laptop computers are getting about 7 Mbps download speeds and 2 Mbps upload speeds. All the computers are finding the router and connecting fine and all are using the 2.4 band.
    I am using Google Chrome browser on all of them. I have also tested them with several speed test sites and they are all indicating about the same results.
    So I am not having any issues with the wired desktop pc speed which I expect as they are hard wired to the router.

But the speeds on the laptops are terrible.

When I look at the wireless connection it doesn't show the 5.0 band. I don't know how to get that to show up on the available connections. If I could set them to use the 5.0 band I would think that would make some difference, right? There are 25 people/devices showing up in my neighborhood using this this network - could be causing interference too right?

Now if you look at the specifications of this laptop it is pretty pathetic. My other laptop has much better specs but still very slow Internet speeds.

If I connect them wired to the router speed improve dramatically which I expected but these are mobile pc's and I don't want to be tethered by a cable.

Would changing channels help you think?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated (y)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't describe your dual band wireless router, but I'm guessing it's capable of using both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless bands.
    If it is, it should be set up to use the faster 5 GHz wireless band.

Does the built-in wireless adapter in each of your laptops support both bands?
    If they don't, changing the bandwidth capability setting from 20 MHz to 40 MHz may help.

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. larryh10000

larryh10000 Thread Starter

Yes, the router does support both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz wireless bands. Don't know if the built-in wireless adapters support both bands though.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Post the make and full model of the 2 laptops then we can check what wireless capabilities they have.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1198954

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice