1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very slow XP Bootup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gpandelios, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gpandelios

gpandelios Thread Starter

I need help desparately.

When my Windows XP Professional system now boots, here's what happens:
    1. I get the usual memory and bios messages
    2. The XP screen with the scrolling lights appears
    3. The screen becomes black and the cursor appears. The cursor can be moved all over the place just like normal, but there is nothing else visible.
    4. After a long period (minutes), the screen becomes blue (dark band at top and bottom) and displays the Windows XP logo. XP infomrs me that "Windows is starting up". The cursor shows a CD next to it. This is as far as I've gotten.

Recent changes to the system:
    1. Installed new CD-RW (used it - it works fine).
    2. Installed new CD (it works too)

Has anyone else seen this? Any suggestions? Please help, I'm stuck. :eek: :( :mad:

Thanks,

George

2. natcom

natcom

try this Start System Restore from DOS
    Starting System Restore Tool from Command Prompt
    1. Start your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

NOTE: You must log on as the administrator or a user that has administrator rights.
    2. At the command prompt, type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then press ENTER.
    3. Follow the instructions on the screen to begin restoring your computer to a previous, functional state.

3. gpandelios

gpandelios Thread Starter

Thanks, I tried Safe Mode with command prompt.

The system comes up with "SAFE" in all corners, black screen, white cursor arrow, no icons or background. Across the top of the screen it tells me that this is version 2600 of XP Service pack 2 (or something similar).

But no command prompt appears, and the system will go no further (or I can't figure out what to do next).

George

4. natcom

natcom

5. myluvnttl

myluvnttl

My advise to you is to type cmd in the run command and used msconfig and diasble all start-up program, then reboot.

6. natcom

natcom

he cant get to windows how is he goin to do that ?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice