1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

very slow

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Nita, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nita

Nita Thread Starter

i have an Acer Aspire netbook, purchased only a few monthe ago. 250 GB hard drive 1 GB RAM The OS is Windows 7 starter. I don't use it a lot mainly for emails and accessing the internet when I am not at home.It has very few programmes and very little stored on it. Unfortunately it has become painfully slow. I often cannot connect to the internet even tho' the thingy on the bottom right hand corner tells me I am connected, when it is connected it still takes an age to get anywhere. Even opening one of the few files on it takes forever. I tried going throuhj the troubleshooting thing but it hasn't helped. Please can someone help me..I'm not sure I'm in the right forum here.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    If you don't use it very often, there could be lots of Windows updates downloading when you're trying to do other things. It can slow things down a lot.
    This happened to Mrs.1002richards' laptop 'til we got in to the habit of booting it up and leaving it for an hour every so often just to run & install updates.

Another thing to check is what's running at start up by using msconfig. Guide with screenshots here: http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_win7.html ask back here if you're unsure what if any changes to make.

Hope this helps?

Richard

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Let's see what's installed and auto-starting, and if obvious issues need to be addressed.

Go here and click the green "Download latest version" link to download and save HiJackThis 2.0.4.

After it's been downloaded and saved, close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to install it.

Allow it to install in its default location - C:\Program Files.

After it's been installed, start it and then click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan is finished in less than 30 seconds, a log file will appear.

Save that log file.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire log file here.

-------------------------------------------------------

Unless you REALLY needed something light and small for portability, you would've been happier with a laptop instead of a netbook.

Netbooks also lack an optical drive and are more prone to hardware issues.

-------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029050

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice