1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

very strange drive properties display have me concerned about malware

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by dnarepairman, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnarepairman

dnarepairman Thread Starter

I have an external drive, Hammer "morespace" 500BG usb2, that I use in case of disaster recovery on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit desktop. Hence, I only use it occasionally; and purely for back-up purposes (active sync, User files). The properties for this drive are very strange (see attached image). They are mainly comprised of Chinese characters (for drive name, manufacturer, etc.) and a strange little cartoon character with a cape and rainbow on its head :rolleyes:

I have had this drive for about 2 years. Further, I can't recall ever viewing the drive properties, e.g., in the My Computer window on any prior occasion. Nevertheless, these "properties" have me concerned about malware despite that windows defender, avast and malware bytes do not detect such. Has anybody seen this before? Should I be concerned? How can I change the way the all strange drive properties are displayed?

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80 GHz
    4GB (2x2GB) OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500
    NVidia GeForce 8400 GS
    1.5 TB internal disc storage

Attached Files:

2. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Sorry if this is a little late, and not very specific, but the display you're seeing is malware related. About 3 weeks ago, I had a customer's pen drive which had been provided to me to restore some backup files to a new hard drive. When I tried to stop the drive before removing it,my Windows 7 system notification area displayed the drive with a rainbow icon and a string of Chinese characters very similar to what your system properties picture shows.

I did full scans with an updated Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and NOD32, which detected and removed 1 infection. The bug detected by NOD32, was one of those generic identifications that wasn't very helpful.

So, here I am, confident you have malware on the drive, but unable to identify it or the risks it poses.

3. hulkinator

hulkinator

I would suggest you post a HijackThis log. I'm going to report this thread to the moderators so it hopefully gets moved to the all-out Malware Removal forum, where you will get help from the malware experts here. Be patient as there aren't many of them around, but they are very good so it is worth the wait!

As a side note I'd refrain from using other USB hard drives or flash drives- these types of infections can be spread via such removable media.

HijackThis instructions
    To download HijackThis, go to http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download. Install it, restart, and then run HijackThis. Choose the option to "Do a system scan and save a logfile", and then post it here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/882236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice