1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very strange graphics card freezing problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reakt, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reakt

reakt Thread Starter

Hi folks.

I have a Geforce 8400 GS graphics card which came one giant heatsink and no fan, so it's designed to run silently.

Now when I've tried to play some games the screen and computer totally freezes. The image on the screen kind of gets spattered with various blotches of red, blue and green. Every sprite or icon or item on the screen sort of looks like it's shifted a bit and all of the lines are bordered with dots of those colours.

The sound also continues on like a white noise kind of sound, then eventually stops dead.

This usually happens after 5-10 mins of gaming. On very old games which don't require much graphical power, sometimes it doesn't happen at all. I've also ran DVD's in window mode and it's happened before.

Now It's a heatsink only card so I decided to glue on an AMD processor fan. This took the temperature down by at least 20c, the basic GPU temperature now is 46c which is very cool considering the card is designed to run hotter but silently.

During games now the GPU temperature is lower than the ambient desktop temperature when it didn't have the fan on, if that makes sense.

The thing is the crashes STILL happen. The only solution is for me to go on nTune and underclock the GPU and memory by about 50mhz each. This completely solves the issue.

I just can't imagine it still being the temperature since it's now running very cool, during games or not. But it only seems to be this underclock which solves it.

My specs are:

GFX card = as above
    CPU = AMD Athlon 64 4400+ duel core
    1GB DDR 2 ram
    Motherboard = MSI K9VGM-V
    Windows XP SP2
    PSU: 600w (no fans or much power draining stuff running at all)
    Direct X 9c

Any help is much appreciated on this folks thanks.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Got anymore Ram (memory) you can put in the PC?

3. reakt

reakt Thread Starter

I don't I'm afraid.

Do you think it might be due to a lack of RAM?

4. Megabite

Megabite

You could try blowing a household fan directly onto the Video card with the side case off and see if that runs longer .....if it does then could definitely be a heat issue

5. reakt

reakt Thread Starter

I can't see how it can be a heat issue though since I've stuck a fan on the heatsink when it's designed to not even use one. It runs at a lower temperature in games now than it did on the desktop when it didn't have a fan. So it's really cooled it down.

Any further ideas are much appreciated.

6. reakt

reakt Thread Starter

I've just noticed something new too. The freezes and crashes happen to pretty much anything in full screen mode. I expanded a Youtube video into full screen and it crashed after 10 minutes.

The GPU temperature right now is at 46c and I cannot imagine a full screen Youtube video increasing the temperature to 60c+ which was what the temp was in desktop mode (where I have no troubles) before I fitted the fan. I just played the video in full screen for a few minutes and there wasn't a single degree change in temperature.

Any thoughts on this guys?

7. filerz

filerz

I dont know much, but i had this before..

Do you use a REAL windows operating system and not a knock off?

I admit i did at one point, caused me all sorts of issues.. Now i have Proper VISTA :D

8. reakt

reakt Thread Starter

I'm not sure how that would affect it though as the OS is identical in how it works. I'm using Windows XP at the moment.

Anyone have any further ideas on this one?

9. filerz

filerz

well it could be dodgy, my pc kept restarting, freezing up, distorted colours the works, then i gt vista real version, worked fine nothing wrong now. Im just saying its best to ave a proper OS anyway isnt it.

10. matthew0155

matthew0155

Uninstall then Reinstall the graphics drivers that came with the graphics card, or go to the company website and download the Newest version.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice