1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very strange graphics problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bsj, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bsj

bsj Thread Starter

Well i built my computer last night and I bought a Gigabyte 6850 graphics to go with it. The computer powered up fine and i proceeded to install windows. About half way through the installation the display went blank. I restarted the computer and noticed there still was no display. When i plug the cable into the onboard graphics there is video but plugging in the cable to the graphics card yields no video.

I opened the case and saw that the fans aren't even spinning. I have no way to know if they were when i first booted it up. I have tried many things like installing catalyst control center but it only shows the intergraded graphics. Before i installed the motherboard CD the card would show up as an unknown device but after installing the CD the card does not show up. Did my card just die after using for 10 mins or is there something else causing it not to be recognized or making the fans spin.

2. Smety

Smety

Hey bsj,

It sounds to me like your graphics card died out. The fan (from what you've described) was probably defective which is why it lasted about 10 minutes and then fried. Since it failed due to a manufacturing defect just send the card back to the manufacturer and they should send you a new one free :)

3. Sharma7

Sharma7

IF the warranty is covered. Make sure you didn't remove any stickers or something that say "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED".

4. Smety

Smety

Good point. If it's a manufacturing defect then it is definitely covered. However, as Sharma7 stated, make sure that you didn't rip any stickers off or anything like that.

5. bsj

bsj Thread Starter

I have not taken anything off of the card. I guess i will have to RMA it through Newegg. It is just strange that It would come from the factory like that.

6. Smety

Smety

Unfortunately, no matter how reputable the manufacturer is there will always be occasional defects :(

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969243

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice