1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very strange problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drunkbudda, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drunkbudda

Drunkbudda Thread Starter

I have a problem when I first turn on the computer I get a two second burst of power then power off for about three seconds then back on for two if I just leave it alone it will do this five times each time it powers up it is a little further in the boot. After five power off's and on's I'm at my desktop. Once running it works great, it will run for days under a full load with no problems.
    I have found that the problem is related to my primary hard drive. I have switched the hard drive out with another and the machine boots fine. I have also found that once in windows I can do a restart with no problems. Only when I do a complete power off and wait about a minute before reboot does the problem return:eek:.
    I must also add that at the same time this started my primary dvd drive started having problems instead of being listed as DVD-RAM drive is only shows as a dvd drive and any dvd's that I burn in it will only work in that drive, no other computers. And it even gets more weird I had a 4 gig usb drive in the usb port and now this computer will not ever see that drive but it will work in other computers and other usb drives will work in this computer
    I have reformatted, cleared the cmos and still the same problems. This is not a new computer I have had it for more than a couple of years.
    What ever happened it it seemed to messed with boot on all of the primary drives in the system. Any ideas?
    P4-2.8
    2gig DDR ram
    MSI main board
    WD 320 gig (primary)
    WD 500 gig slave
    IO majic DVD burner (primary)
    Samsung DVD rom CDRW
    And one useless usb drive (on this computer )

2. Drunkbudda

Drunkbudda Thread Starter

No one even have a guess?

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you mean it will boot every time with a different hard drive then change the drive. But if you mean that after a cold boot it still won't boot then I would say a dying power supply.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755853

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice