1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very strange video card problem...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dr Green, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dr Green

Dr Green Thread Starter

I have an nvidia 6800 GT. Over the last couple of days my computer has been having problems booting up. Sometimes it will go all the way until Windows should be coming on the screen and just stop and go black. Othertimes, once turned on, the power light on the monitor will just flash as if there isn't a signal (but no "No signal detected" message on the screen.

As of today, all I get is the flashing light and black screen. I put the card in two friend's computers and it worked fine. I put 2 different old nvidia cards in this computer and both booted up fine.

When trying the 6800 in the computer again, I got the same problem.

We're all stumped.

2. Gonzo1970

Gonzo1970

What motherboard make and model are you using?

Check BIOS upgrades lately?

Power Supply Wattage?

-Gonz

3. Dr Green

Dr Green Thread Starter

Intel D865GBF

Everything is up to date

500w power supply that works fine on another computer

4. Gonzo1970

Gonzo1970

Check the video card settings in bios (specifically the voltage) on both systems. See if the "working system"'s voltage is the same as the "non-working" system.

-Gonz

5. frankjohn

frankjohn

You say your settings are correct,drivers are up to date? checked system with other monitor, check cable connection tocard, Does device mgr if you can get into it read show card?

6. Dr Green

Dr Green Thread Starter

Both voltages the same.

I should also note now: the computer doesn't just not display anything, it doesn't boot up at all when the 6800 is put in. The numlock led never turns on. If that changes the cicumstances at all...

Would a format do any good at this point or is this not software related since nothing changed?

Also, we tried another 8x agp video card (a 5900 ultra) and got the same problem. Right now I'm using a ti 4200.

7. Gonzo1970

Gonzo1970

Ive been trying to get onto Asus' website, but they seem to be busy.. Or work is covertly blocking it =)

Ill get back to you on this as soon as I can get the info on your mobo

-Gonz

8. Dr Green

Dr Green Thread Starter

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things to try.

1 Pull whatever card you have now out. Use a can of air to clean the agp slot. Next make sure your 6800 contacts are clean. Be careful cleaning them since this is where static electricity can easily damage a card.

2 Now reinsert the card making sure it is fully seated. Most boards have an audible click when the card is fully seated.

3 If it still will not boot, disconnect everything from power sources ie hd, optical disks, case fans, etc. leave the keyboard plugged in along with the extra power connector for the card. Now try to power up and see if it will post and give you a display on the screen ie post data.

If it posts now, I would bet your ps is failing. Just because it is a 500W unit, does not mean much. The quality of the unit is much more important. If possible post exact ps specs ie amps on each rail.

10. frankjohn

frankjohn

assuming bios is latest and like crjdriver suggested cleaning- power supply is good I would point to the mother board.

11. Dr Green

Dr Green Thread Starter

Cleaned the slot and reinserted - same problem.

Disc'ed everything but the vid card/motherboard - same problem.

:(

What on the motherboard could have gone wrong that it will run lower power cards and not high powered cards?

Also, we threw in a 400w (that is currently working w/ my friend's 5900 ultra) and still got the same problem.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

After all of that, I would look at the board itself. Give the board a very close inspection for bulging / leaking caps. If you find any, you have found your problem.

13. Dr Green

Dr Green Thread Starter

Nothing seems amiss on the board itself

14. BeerGutBarry

BeerGutBarry

Im no expert on video cards, but I'll take a stab at this.
    Get into you you're bios and take note of some of the important settings.
    Switch off your computer and find the bios reset on the board. Usually a little jumper you have to pull off, turn on computer, wait a few seconds, turn off, then reconnect the jumper. Once this is done. Put the video card back in and connect everything you absoloutely need and nothing else.
    Turn on and see what happens.
    Had a similar problem many years ago with an old PCI graphics card. The bios decided to make some seemingly innocent change. Hope it helps.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/422961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice