1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

very suspicious thing happening on my PC

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sontag, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sontag

Sontag Thread Starter

I am running windows XP, and lately strange things have been happening on my PC

Desktop icons just up and disappear. The only one I have noticed doing this consistently is my shortcut for internet explorer (IE). When this happens, it the IE shortcut is also removed from my start menu. I believe other icons have disappeared from my desktop as well, because every so often I notice an empty space on my desktop where an icon look like it used to be. It it hard to tell which ones however, because by the time I notice, they are already gon, of course.

My computer also seems slower than it should be at times

I know this all sounds like I have some sort of spyware or virus running on my system, but I have run numerous system scans with Ad-aware and Norton, and come up empty handed.

This is kind of worrying me, so if anyone knows what might be going on, please share the wisdom! :confused:

2. Monstrous Mi

Monstrous Mi

Try this:

1. Open the Control Panel (Click Start then Control Panel. Now make sure you are viewing in Classic mode). Double-click the Display icon.
    2. On the Desktop tab, click on Customise Desktop
    3. Under the Desktop Cleanup option, remove the tick from the box which says 'Run desktop cleanup wizard every 60 days'
    4. Finally, click OK

Or this:

When you close a window and the computer hesitates while windows "refreshes" all of the Desktop Icons, it is because the ShellIconCache file has reached it's limit of 500 entries.

To stop this run Regedit and open the key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and create a new string value. Name it MaxCachedIcons and then set the value to 2000.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice