1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very technical question may be difficult to answer

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by lpaso, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lpaso

lpaso Thread Starter

Hello you smart computer techies!!! I need a little assistance. I hate Norton as it was hogging up my PC. So I uinstalled it (via the norton uninstall) and went out and bought PC-cillin 2005. I installed it and everything was going fine until I attempted to connect to the internet (via IE). No internet. No email connection either (makes sense since IE and OE 6 are connected to each other. Aren't they?) Anywhoo, I uninstalled PC-cillin pdq, and viola Internet working just fine.

Called PC-cillin cust. spt. a very nice Hindu lady finally helped me disable the 'Personal Firewall' component of the new software after we reinstalled it. She assesed the problem is with my Internet provider. I was asked to call them and ask three specific questions 1. what port number am i using, 2. do they have a firewall up?, 3. any specific password or setting?

Internet provider was very perturbed at first with my three little questions insisting that the problem is with PC-cillin software not with them (the service provider). they answered my questions though, --, no, no.

I just sent an email to cust spt @ PC-cillin with the same info presented here.

but since you guys are almost always quicker, and there is no need to decipher the accent, I thought I'd try TechSupportGuy too.

I have a limited knowledge of computers, even less it seems when it comes to software conflicts. But my guess's at the problem is this, : 1. norton is not TOTALLY off my pc, or 2. I'm running another firewall somehow.

of those two guess I don't have a clue how to figure out if its true and secondly how to fix it.

anybody of for a challenge today?
    needing protection in Lpaso

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    are you running XP SP2 if so SP2 has a firewall enabled by default
    goto controll panel and you should see a secruity centre.

3. lpaso

lpaso Thread Starter

I'm running WinMe. I'm assuming that you mean Service Pack 2 when you Say SP2. Since I'm running ME I don't think I've installed a SP like that.

lpaso

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you didn't say what OS you had and yep windows XP SP2 - so not applied in youyr case

also you dont say what norton
    try the symantec web site for removal tools
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

so ME does not have a built in firewall?

ME does have restore points - so have you tried to go back to a time before the problem started

5. lpaso

lpaso Thread Starter

Hi again :)

>>>>you didn't say what OS you had and yep windows XP SP2 - so not applied in youyr case<<<<

If Windows Millenium isn't my OS, how do I find out what is?

Everytime I fire up my computer is says "Windows Milennium"

I had Norton System Works 2004, I uninstalled it utilizing the 'uninstall option provided by Norton and double checked the Add/Remove Pgms to see if it was still there and it was not. Symantec Live Update Icon is still available in my Control Panel though?!!! :confused:

Last month, I had real difficulty with IE after spouse hot synched with his Le' Clie...Kimmer 13 had me go back and do the select "Last known good configuration". everything worked fine after that.

I guess my next step is the follow the removal instruction on Symantec for Norton Systems Works 2004 installed on Windows Me.

I thought it worked already through via the 'Uninstall Norton' that comes with the Norton System Works 2004. I mean its not in my Add/Remove Pgm dialog box and its not running in the backround when I look at task manager.

Thanks I really appreciate your time.

Lpaso

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne

7. lpaso

lpaso Thread Starter

How do I do that?

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  9. lpaso

lpaso Thread Starter

oooo...how convienent, will I lose information and activity I've conducted on my pc if I select a date say like three weeks ago?

Secondly, (because I lose focus quickly evidently) how will doing this enable me to use the firewall component of My new anti-virus software PC-cillin (which is installed btw, but the personal firewall component has been disabled diliberately so that I can have internet connection)

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    good point.
    I was picking up
    so no you dont have a firewall due to windows ME.
    that would be a good idea make sure its not interfering at all

so ignore the restore suggestions

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/305149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice