Very tricky problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brian1964

I bought a used Dell Latitude CPi laptop. (P2 366, 64MB, 6.0 GB, Win 98SE) last week. It has a unique problem. It has a tendency to spontaneously restart, It's a random event, sometimes occuring every few minutes, sometimes once a hour.

I did some looking around in the HD and found 2 interesting directories. One called Windows, the other is called Windows 98. Could this be a cause or is there a hardware issue?

Btw, I have a 30 day warranty on the system. But the seller is in Detroit and I'm in PA so I'd rather hang on to it if it's only a software problem.

Thanks much!

Brian

random restarts can be just about anything....heat, bad memory, bad/underpowered powersupply, defective motherboard, software/driver issues....etc.

Its probably not having 2 windows directories though.

I would start troubleshooting this one by runing an online virus scan (so you know definations are up to date) running spybot to kill the spyware, then checking system temperature, swapping ram, etc.....one step at a time.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, If the Windows install was done by someone else, they may have copied the win98 folder from the 98 CD...lot's of folks do this. Some versions of the CD will not automatically copy the .CAB files to the hard drive, they are in the win98 folder of the CD, so people copy it to the hard drive. Usually, the install does place the .CABs onto hard drive, in a folder under Windows...Options....Cabs.
With "Show all Files" turned on, you could check the contents of the folder (Win98). .CABs are numbered to about 70+.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online