1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very Unstable Computer after Reformating XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Postalemaniac, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Postalemaniac

Postalemaniac Thread Starter

Hey guys, my computer was all bugged out with viruses and spyware and such and was just to the point it was slow, so i decided i was going to reformat it with a Windows xp pro we had lying around, so i rebooted, loaded from disk, deleted partitions, remade one and installed Windows XP Pro on it.
    I soon found out that reformatting was not just installing Windows XP, but also installing all the drivers and everything, and since this is a custom built pc that i did not build i didnt know all the components of this machine, so i found something called Drivermagic or something and updated all the drivers i could find after having to put my main card's driver on an external harddrive and move it over from my laptop so i could connect to the internet. So ive updated most of the stuff even though i am still getting some errors with my ATI All-In-Wnder 9600 series graphics card install at startup, which here are the messages that are prompted when startup: 1) Unable to load language resources - place install the software and 2)Atisserv failed to provide required Interfaces.
    So now that you know what my current diagnostics could be my problem is constant cp crashing and freezing when i am playing games like Counterstrike Source or WoW. Also, ive noticed an increase in boot time and now i cant use both of my monitors like i used to be able to, which is a graphics card issue i guess. If you need more info let me know, thanks in advance! And i apologize for that being a pretty lengthy read.

2. swwelsh

swwelsh

You need to make sure you have the exact drivers for your video card, there are tons of models and driver revisions, and it is easy to get one that is almost right but will cause problems, particularly with games. You also might want to make sure you have all the latest system updates, latest direct X, Media player etc. If you cant find out exactly what graphics card you have, you will have to open up the case and look at it for model numbers and the like.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

From your description it sounds like you MAY be trying to install the OS from a System Builder reinstallation disk made for another machine.

IF this is correct, I doubt that a System Manufacturer proprietary disc is going to run properly on a custom built machine because the OS, drivers, etc. are "married" to the machine on which it was originally installed. Also, if you did get the disc to install, you will PROBABLY encounter problems with Windows activation and validation since an OEM OS cannot be transferred from the machine on which it was originally installed to another machine.

4. bbearren

bbearren

Visit the ATI site. They have a utliity that will probe your graphics card and identify what driver set you need.

5. Postalemaniac

1) This is an actual Windows XP Professional disk with the cd-key and i verified it correctly, thanks for your input though.
    2) I looked around on the ATI Site and didnt see any probing software thing that determines what i need, so i uninstalled all my crappily-installed ATI drivers and reinstalled them, I might need more than what i got though, that could be the problem. I got Catalyst, and 3/4 of the Multimedia ones because the 4th required me to have my disk and it was for something else, which i dont have the disk so i didnt bother. But it said Catalyst had the updates in it. So then i rebooted my pc and got some windows error that i sent in and it directed me to a website that told me this:
    Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

More information

Problem report summary

Problem type

Windows stop error (a message appears on a blue screen with error code information)

Solution available?

No

What does this problem mean?

Windows has encountered a problem it cannot recover from and it needs to be restarted

Cause

Unknown

Computer symptoms

A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)

Additional steps for you to take

Please continue to send problem reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

if that means anything more than just "device is messed up fix it kthx"

Thanks in advance! If you need more info just tell me.

Edit: It seems like im missing drivers, when i play counterstrike ppl dont look like they are running, they look like they teleport really fast which im pretty sure is a hint of wrong/no drivers, even though i downloaded all i saw for ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 series and installed.

6. bbearren

bbearren

When you uninstalled your ATI drivers did you edit your registry to remove all traces?

7. Postalemaniac

No, should i have? They seemed to install fine, and i don't really know how to edit my registry. Maybe run --> regedit and find them or something? But i don't think that would really effect much if i just installed over the few shreds i had in the registry would it? I am not sure because im not really the computer expert, although i am learning and i would really like to become one because i love computers and am thinking of pursuing them as a career choice somehow, although im not sure what yet. Any suggestions?

8. bbearren

bbearren

9. Postalemaniac

Yeah, thats exactly what i did, thanks though, any other suggestions or am i out of luck? :( I dont know whats wrong, please dont tell me i have to take it to :sigh: geeksquad!

10. bbearren

bbearren

You said you didn't edit your registry. Check this link:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=20561

In particular, look at the section on "Manual Removal"

I use ATI graphics cards. If you don't completely clear out all the old installation, most of the time you will get instability in the new installation.

11. Postalemaniac

hmm..do u know what exactly i need to download? Like catalyst + ATI Multimedia Software? or should i do just one? And do these include my actual drivers or are these just like additional software i can get? Im kind of confused with all these drivers and whatnot, but heres a link so you can see what im talking about.

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/aiwradeonx-xp.html
    ^ this is the link for my ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 Grafx Card ^

12. bbearren

bbearren

Catalyst is the driver package. The multimedia software is for playing DVD's, etc. To update your driver, you need to follow the uninstall instructions I linked to, including the manual removal. You need to get all the pieces of the old driver package removed before you install the new driver package.

13. Postalemaniac

Hey, i did the Manual uninstall along with the add/remove progs, reinstalled catalyst and its freezing on my games and closing out at random times etc, any more ideas? like maybe i dont have up to date drivers for something else? I know i have up to date drivers on my motherboard atleast.

14. bbearren

bbearren

Sound card drivers can also cause grief. You might check that.

15. Postalemaniac

Thanks for all the help on this issue guys, it has all been straightened out. I guess it fixed itself or it was the reinstalling of my Graphics card drivers about 20 times lol, either way thanks alot!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537571

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice