Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Very unstable internet. Full imgur album and specs inside

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
QUICK THING BEFORE STARTING
I original posted this to reddit.com in /r/techsupport but soon realized that was fruitless. I am replacing all the links up here so anywhere you see 'here's a link' just ignore it and think I'm a *******

Imgur album:
D-link stick: http://www.dlink.com/ca/en/home-solutions/connect/adapters/dwa-130-wireless-n-usb-adapter
Laptop: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/prod...spx?path=6c390155f74f95f993fc777f863f2405en02 (not touchscreen)

My problem: My internet connection is not stable and I have tried everything. I stutter when playing games which allows my team to lose and I can't have a skype conversation because people cut out every 10-15 seconds.
Computer Specs: I don't have a great laptop, to put it blunt. Here is the link to it on future shop. It says windows 8, but I have windows 7 running on this.

What I've done: The wifi card in the laptop is terrible, it is the worst. So I went out and bought This . The first thing I tried was connecting both the original wifi on my laptop and the d-link stick to the wifi. It didn't help. So I used only the stick and it got a bit better, but ultimately it is still unusable. I have tried other things like deleting cookies and what not, but they're not the problem. Here is the link to the stick specs

The router: Here is where I think the problem lie. My router Seen here . Is positioned right here . Could the interference from the Tv signals be messing with the router. I find after 10ish, the internet improves significantly, although this is off peak hours so what do I know.

ISP: My isp is currently rogers. I have not attempted to contact them to try and sort out this issue.

Bonus troubleshooting: My little brother plays online games on the wii. While watching him play I noticed he was getting similar lag. I'm not saying the wii is a powerhouse capable of good online play, but it was identical to what I was experiencing.

If anyone can help me out and let me return to my games in peace I'll buy you a humble bundle or reddit gold or something.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Well there are a few things to try here.

1 - Factory Reset your router (this resolve 80% of speed and corrupt signal issues)
2 - Change MTU packet size to something like 1498 (Default is usually 1500 this is usually found under WAN settings)
3 - Have ISP reprovision your modem ( could be something as simple as a partially corrupt provision on the modem and your router may not be to blame.)

If still an issue update us and of course go over cabling both inside, outside, at back of modem, and wall the best you can.

#3 ·
Additionally I do not know which modem/router Rogers provide but as your brother also experiences problems we can for the moment discount a problem on the computer
In addition to what has been suggested try
1. Turning off other devices in the house - the TV, any cordless phones, and any other wireless devices are favourite
2. Try if possible re positioning the router so that it is NOT under the shelf or move the laptop closer to the router
3. Try changing channel on router from auto if that is what it is set at

1. Connect an Ethernet cable from the PC to the Rocket Hub.
  2. Open a web browser
  3. In the address bar enter 192.168.1.1

1. Login using:
  2. Username: admin

• Password: admin
    • If you changed the password enter that instead.

1. Click Wireless
  2. Click Configuration.
  3. Click the Channel drop down box and select the desired channel.
  4. Click on Apply/Save to save changes.
TRY channel 1 and test for at least 24hrs
Try channel 6 - likewise
Try channel 11 - likewise.
#
With each of those channels it would help if you tried with AND without other wireless equip. and TV off and ON

Cordless phones, baby alarms etc do NOT have to be on the same frequency to cause interference due to
harmonics that is multiples or divisibles of the wireless internet frequency

#5 ·
You must do as you think best

That is what I must reply to your question, as it is your computer.
However please see below as to why 1, 6 or 11 is the best choice
PERHAPS you missed my comment
Try changing channel on router from auto if that is what it is set at
What please about the rest of my post have you tried ANY of it please

FYI
There are three main causes of Wi-Fi interference: co-channel, overlapping channel and non-Wi-Fi wireless interference.

Channel related interference can be reduced or eliminated by selecting the proper Wi-Fi channel for your network. Ultimately improving your 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network coverage and performance.

Let's get technical for a moment. The 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n) spectrum is 100 MHz wide and made up of 11 channels centered 5 MHz apart. Each 2.4GHz channel is 20 - 22 MHz wide making the spectrum a little crowded.

If each channel is 20 MHz wide, this means there will be a minimum of 10 MHz of overlap with neighboring channels (overlapping channel interference). For example, if your network is on channel 9, it will overlap with channels 7, 8, 10, 11.

Creating a situation where your network is yelling loudly in a foreign language, distracting any network on an overlapping channel. Vis-versa for the other networks and your network.

In the case of Wi-Fi, channel overlapping is bad. This leaves only channels 1, 6 and 11 not overlapping with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.