1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

very ver very urgent pls>>

Discussion in 'Networking' started by haythem_20, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haythem_20

haythem_20 Thread Starter

i have two PCs in Different two Building i wanna connect them in a Cheapest way
    pls its very urgent to me

waiting your reply

thanks

2. willettwork

willettwork

Hey heythem the hard part is doing this cheap. I have a 100 foot ethernet cable at my house. it is way to long for my needs but it connects fine. and is not that expensive. The other way is more expencive. you can set up wireless connection. That is if the two buildings are not far apart. I have seen a devise that amplifies and resends signals that may help get across to the other building. Again that does not solve the cheap part.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    how far away are they - would a wireless network work?
    is connection speed important. note wireless G is 54M (I think its 54 - its 50 something)

4. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Distance and obsticles are the two most important factors here. A simple ethernet cable run from one to the other is the cheapest, but also the most limited. Limited by 100 meters maximum length, and whether it's possible to run a cable from one to the other. A fiber cable might be next, but more likely wireless connectivity is going to solve the issue much more nicely. But then you need a clear line of sight, and again the cheap solutions are very limited in distance.

If you're farther away than a simple wireless signal can reach, sorry, cheap is no longer an option. Now you're dealing with telecom equipment of some type, whether that's microwave, proprietary radio, satellite, free space optical, or services offered by a telecom company. All such options are going to be in the range of thousands of dollars, reaching into the mid 10's of thousands. A telecom contract may be cheaper than this, but it's a monthly contract, you keep paying and paying and paying.

Hope this helps,

-Scott

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Do NOT run a cable between buildings unless you really know what you're doing. Ground loops and lightning strikes are just a couple of the pitfalls waiting for you...

Depending on the actual distance and the amount of obstructions, 802.11g with directional antennas would probably be the best and easiest to install.

6. imung

imung

yes, agree with johnwill.
    unless you can pull the cable safely underground.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Even underground cables can have issues. If the electrical grounds between the buildings are at a different potential, you can spend weeks trying to get things working. That's the reason for some of the special optical isolated couplers, to avoid such issues. I used to build networking equipment for use in Wall St. trading firms, and we frequently had long network runs. Some of the grounding problems in those old buildings were "interesting". :)

8. haythem_20

at first thanks for all.. I'm very Happy coz. I'm here with all of this friends

my problem is Icant make a cable between the two buildings coz. the government forbidden this and there is a rood between the two buildings and I'm in medial east the weather here is very heat if I can make the wireless connection in this weather how I can make it
    Thanks

Not: the far between the two buildings is less than 90 meters

9. 5mi11er

5mi11er

10. haythem_20

what about the wireless bridge?

11. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Well, we are just suggesting general directions that your ultimate solution might take. Most of the time, two wireless boxes talking together are creating or participating on a "wireless bridge". So, what we've been describing is how to implement a wireless bridge using the cheapest solutions possible, focusing on the antenna. The wireless devices that would make use of the antenna are cheap and ubiquitous. Buying an industrial antenna is generally not cheap.

So, I'm rambling at this point, mainly because I'm still confused by what might be your real question or where your point of confusion is based.

12. haythem_20

by the way thanks my problem is solved and thanks agen for all of

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you post the solution you adopted - may help others

14. oldschooller

oldschooller

yes please let us know the outcome I am curriouse to find out witch one works out for the better, in your sittuation of course.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice