1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Very weird TCP/IP problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by steveb999, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steveb999

steveb999 Thread Starter

I went to repair a network the other day and ran in to the weirdest thing I have ever seen. 4 computers on a network with TCP/IP and IPX/SPX protocols installed. Windows XP Home on 3 of them and Pro on one. A D-Link router assigning IP addresses. They can all see each other. They can access data on each other. They can all ping the router at 192.168.0.1. None of them can ping any other computer on the network. If I remove the router and let Windows assign the default IP addresses pings work just fine for all computers. If I then manually assign 192.168.0.X numbers along with an appropriate subnet mask the computers can no longer ping each other. Yes, I tried using 192.168.1.X numbers as well as both 255.255.255.0 and 255.255.0.0 for subnet masks. The only way that pings will work is if I let Windows assign the default 169.x.x.x IP addresses.

This wouldn't be much of an issue except they have a program that uses the browser to access an SQL database. If the computers can't ping the server they can't pull up the database with the browser.

I have disabled the firewalls on all of the computers as well. Any ideas?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One possibility is that the firewalls were configured to allow 169.254.x.y access and even though you have disabled them they are still hanging on. Try uninstalling one or configuring it to allow the 192.168... addresses and see if you can ping it. Uh, since those firewalls also block outgoing you might have to "fix" two of them to test.

3. steveb999

steveb999 Thread Starter

They only have the built in Windows firewall. I don't know that I can do much else but turn them off. I did check the firewall settings. Nothing out of the ordinary there. Nothing that would allow the 169 addresses or disallow any others.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, I had assumed 3rd party firewalls (or "security suites").

Windows XP firewall has a separate setting that can block pings. See the Advanced tab - Settings for ICMP. The first option is to block or allow pings. Don't know if 169.254.... addresses would be treated differently. Doubt this is the thing blocking, but easy to check.

If the above is not the problem, then I gotta agree with you about the weirdness--this certainly competes strongly for the title of weirdest! "Convential wisdom" says that if you can't ping you can't do anything else either. :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice