Vexing Outlook 2003/Win XP Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jazz23

Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated. The problem started in various forms about 7 weeks ago. I've had this PC since 2004--many issues have been dealt with over the ownership, but I can't find a solution to this one.

Basics: Dell Dimension 8300 Windows XP SP3; MS Office Small Business 2003; IE7; various PC optimizing utilities; 2008 Norton 360 (possible culprit, I think, because most of my problems over the years seem to have some connection with antivirus/firewall programs); iTunes; Skype; Audio/Video programs; AllWay sync software for file transfer to my laptop; Logitech wireless keyboard and wireless mouse with SetPoint

Starting with a clean reboot: everything seems fine. Outlook works, sends/receives, etc. If I exit Outlook, all seems fine, but when I try to sync with my laptop, or copy the pst file, it is blocked because the "program is locked by another process". I found there are OUTLOOK.EXE processes still running if you check Task Manager. Yes, I've disabled all the Add-Ins, and done everything else I've found on Forums for weeks. I found a clever program named Unlocker that solves the problem of copying or syncing the file. But that's not the main problem.

When I restart Outlook after an exit (without Windows reboot), there will be error messages like "SetPoint: Outlook failed to get the sync objects". Outook will start, but the Send/Receive won't function. Worse, ALL programs' windows "flash" from active to dimmed out about every 2 seconds. During this condition, clicking your mouse on something is a crap shoot, including Windows shutdown.

The only way to resume a fully functioning Outlook is to reboot the PC. It seems to work fine until I exit the program, and then all the weirdness begins. Another error message that has shown up is "Outlook data folders were not closed properly..checking for errors."

After exiting Outlook and clicking on the outlook.pst file in Explorer, Unlocker and Task Manager shows 3 or 4 OUTLOOK.EXE processes running...but I can't find what is causing this.

Also, my Windows System Restore doesn't work...goes through the motions, reboots, and says "Restoration unsuccessful"...this has been since early August.

I've done registry cleans, error cleans, spyware cleans, PC optimizations, reinstalled MS Office 2007, etc. I have not uninstalled Norton 360 (an upgrade of previous Symantec Norton stuff I had).

Thanks so much for any guidance on this...sorry for being so long-winded.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts