1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VGA cable incorrectly causing low resolution on monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jkwilborn, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jkwilborn

jkwilborn Thread Starter

Hello, I've had very good success with this board, so I'll try to resolve a problem I've had for a number of months. I have two devices that supply video, one is the PC itself, the other is a security camera system. Both use a VGA display. When I use the PC as I've been doing I get a 1280 X 1024 output, which is fine and proper and I believe the best this monitor can display.

I got tired of plugging in one then unplugging and plugging, so I purchased a VGA switcher for the problem, along with two VGA cables. My original cable was on my Apple G5 Mac and is capable of very high resolution. One thing I noticed is that the new cables I purchased have all the pins intact, whereas my other cable is missing a number of them. After changing cables and messing around I came to the conclusion that the new cables are my problem which is this:

When the new cables are plugged in, the monitor comes up with 800 X 640 resolution and in the properties, you can't change it to anything higher (or anything!) The old cable works fine with it coming up at 1280 X 1024.

Does anyone know why this is occurring? Seems if all lines are there it should tell it that the monitor is capable of higher resolution, not the other way around. I'm running Debian Linux on the PC, which is known for being very intelligent with the configuration, but it seems to be working back wards. I have not tried to run Windows 8 on this configuration to see if it behaves the same way. I keep away from Microsoft if possible...

If anyone knows, or knows which pins I can cut on the new cables, please write and let me know where they found the information, if possible. This has had me stumped for a few months. If I knew what wires to delete I'd cut them out, but don't want to ruin a couple of new cables.

Thanks

Jack

2. cesarvh

cesarvh

how long is the cable you are using? because if your VGA cable is too long, you will indeed need to lower your resolution. (you can even already have this with HDMI cables of +3 meters without range extender).
    Most of the times cheap cables dont give issues, but i always look for at least a certain amount of quality....

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Does the problem only occur when the "VGA Switcher" is connected or even if directly connected between the computer and monitor with the new cables?

Low quality VGA cables can cause issues and are prone to interference if not properly shielded.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I had a similar problem and it was a cheap VGA cable that caused it. There were actuall less connections inside the cable than normal and the ones that tell the PC what sort of Monitor it is were not connected even though all the pins were present in the plugs.

But try Triple6's idea first and connect directly without the VGA switch.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1093728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice