1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

vga error message

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wahdm7, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wahdm7

wahdm7 Thread Starter

Hello. My son was listening to music via Media Player 11 when the track froze suddenly accompanied by a recurring 'white noise' sound and loss of keyboard or mouse controls. He had to switch off and try to re-boot; he then got the error message 'No VGA signal' and the monitor went to sleep. I tried later and got an option to either re-set BIOS and one other option which I'm afraid I didn't register, and we haven't had the same message since anyway, just the 'no signal' one - I tried pressing Tab to no avail, switched off and we are now left with an unresponsive PC. The VGA cable and monitor both work having been tested on an alternative PC.
    It's a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo PC , running Windows XP Home. It has been regularly virus checked and wasn't connected to the internet. Thank you.

2. zyper95

zyper95

Try to restore your system from the time it was working properly...

3. wahdm7

wahdm7 Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the suggestion - however, I can't get beyond the error mesage and sleeping monitor. It doesn't even get as far as the Start up screen, so I can't access any menus, keyboard or mouse controls. There's power but no way of interacting with the PC...

4. norton850

norton850

So when you turn the computer on that's all you get, just that message on the monitor and nothing else?

5. wahdm7

wahdm7 Thread Starter

Hello. Yes. The first time I tried a screen came up with start up options, one of which was re-set BIOS and the other I can't remember! I wasn't expecting it. Either way, it was an unfamiliar screen. I chose to press Tab but to no avail. We had to switch power off as there was no response. The second time we powered up it reverted to the error message and screen going to sleep. As there is, in effect, no screen display, I can't use mouse or keyboard controls. Ctrl+Alt+Dlt has no effect, not does Alt F4. Thanks.

6. pcrepairguy

pcrepairguy

It would seem the vidoe card gave up!

7. wahdm7

wahdm7 Thread Starter

Thanks. The PC is less than a year old - will that make a difference? Is it simply a case of fitting a new card?

8. pcrepairguy

pcrepairguy

It probably is still on warranty!! Ususally they are one year deals, let's check that first! No use to try to fix it or spend money if its on warranty! To answer your question though.....you will have to open the case to change the card if you decide or need to go that route however please post the brand and model of the machine here so that we know what we are dealing with. There are different kinds of video cards and slots they go in.....

9. wahdm7

wahdm7 Thread Starter

Thanks. I think my next step will be to return it for shop repair as it is under warranty. I'm surprised a piece of hardware has gone so soon, however. If I do have to take it apart perhaps I'll get in touch again with tech details.
    I wondered if there might be a quick fix, but too optimistic I suppose.
    Thanks again for your help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590220

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice