1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VGA focus problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by clockbroke, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clockbroke

clockbroke Thread Starter

Hello all.

I just did an install of a VGA setup in a theater. To make it's use more flexible, I put an input on the stage for a presenter, and one in the booth for operation of a show tech, with an A/B switch for input selection. I'm quite well versed in VGA/LCD projector setup, and am skilled with cable soldering. VGA cable making is a bit new to me though, so I can't figure out what the following problem is:

From the stage, the signal is great, but from the booth, the focus is off, like a ghosting image. The cable run is about 100ft, but I have run temporary cables in this same room of 80+ feet with no issue. Is there cable interference? Is the jump from 80 feet to 100 feet responsible? Could it be a cable assembly issue?

I had to snip the VGA end off to run the wire through a wall that was tighter than expected, so I reassembled it with a barrier strip rather than soldering (for ease of replacement). All of the wires are clearly color coded, so It seemed a simple operation. Where did I go wrong?

Thanks!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Did you test this particular 100 foot extension cable before cutting and splicing? A cheap or poorly made cable could be the problem.

If you are pretty sure that the cable was good before you cut it, did you reconnect the individual shielding over the red, green and blue video lines? If the cable had an overall shield, did you connect it back together as well?

EDIT: Before I forget, welcome to TSG.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice