1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VGA Light Remains On During Boot with GPU in

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hooper10123, Dec 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hooper10123

Hooper10123 Thread Starter

After playing a bit of PUBG on my new system, my GPU fans went crazy and my screen went black. Now whenever I try to start up my new system WITH ANY GPU in it, the VGA light remains on and the system will not start, but I tested my GPU with my old mobo and CPU and it worked perfectly normally. I have seen some other threads but nothing solving this particular issue. BIOS is version is 0602 (the latest), all drivers etc are completely up to date, I have tried booting with 1 ram stick in slot A2 and no drives, I have tried a different PSU, I have made sure my CPU is seated correctly, Used a completely different GPU, and now I'm stuck. I'm pretty sure it is either a mobo or CPU issue. Does anyone know a way find out if it is the mobo or CPU or if I will be able to fix this (maybe in like bios settings or something), without me having to buy a new CPU or MOBO. I am currently still using the PC, just without a GPU, so its only a problem when a GPU is placed in the pc (but the problem is not with the gpu if that makes sense)

also no overclocking had been done to the system

My NEW build:
    Asus z390-a Prime
    Intel Core i5 9600k
    EVGA 750W G2 PSU
    Corsair Vengence RGB 16gb (8x2)

My OLD build:
    Asus z170-ar
    Intel Core i5-6500
    Corsair 500W PSU
    Corsair Vengence RGB 16gb (8x2)

I have tried both my new and old GPU on my OLD and NEW builds the GPU's are:
    NEW: GIGABYTE 2070 Windforce 8gb
    OLD: EVGA 1070 SC

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I would suspect the motherboard before the cpu.

Try clearing the BIOS. As you don't have video output, you will have to use the jumper on the motherboard.

3. Hooper10123

Tried no luck.

Also, just to clarify, I CAN boot, as soon as I remove the GPU (running on mobo graphics), I don't know if that makes it easier to solve. But anyway, I just reset the settings in the BIOS and cleared the CMOS, but no luck :(

4. Hooper10123

Managed to Fix it!

I'm really not sure what happened here. I tried a few things before it powered on, I took out the CMOS battery for 10 min, I also found online that it might be a good idea to unplug the system and hold power for 10 seconds. I then tried to boot with the GPU, but still, the same issue occurred, I then swapped my Display Port Cable for my HDMI cable (which I had tested with before as well), and the system booted up normally. I presume this can be fixed (DP not working) with a simple driver update.

Thanks for the help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice