Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

VGA port stopped working after sitting for a while

Solved 
533 views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a computer that I want to restore back to factory settings but I can't seem to get the VGA port to work.

The problem is with the computer VGA port, it has integrated graphics. I once turned it on and it worked completely fine but then I put it in my closet for about 2 years and when I try to turn it on it does not decide to display anything. I tested the monitor on another computer and it worked just fine

The only thing I remember is that it has 2GB of RAM.

#2 ·
What's the brand name and model name and model number and serial/service tag number of that computer?

Does it have only integrated graphics, or does it also have a graphics card?

Does it start up and work, even though it's not displaying on the monitor?

------------------------------------------------

#3 · (Edited)
What is the brand name and model name and model number and serial/service tag number of that computer?

Does it have only integrated graphics, or does it also have a graphics card?

Does it start up and work, even though it's not displaying on the monitor?

------------------------------------------------
It's a self built computer, and I can't seem to find any model number/service tag number on it.

It boots up and works even though its not disoplaying, it has integrated graphics

#4 ·
You haven't provided any images of what the rear ports panel of the computer case looks like, or what the connection cable of the monitor looks like, so it's impossible to diagnose the problem from here.

Is that the same monitor that was used with the computer 2 years ago?

Have you looked inside the computer case to see if anything has been dislodged or disconnected?

You said the computer is self-built and has only 2 GB of RAM, so I'm guessing it's a very old one.

-----------------------------------------------

#12 ·
OK, try another monitor cable. When you have the cable OFF, give the port a close inspection. If it appears dirty, corroded, or oxidized, give the port a shot of contact cleaner.
I don't hear any beeps that can be coming from the computer
You will only hear a POST beep if there is a speaker connected to the motherboard. Years ago, every motherboard came with a speaker. Now that is not the case, you have to add a speaker if you want to hear POST beeps.

#18 ·
Your second image is a bit blurry, but it appears the bottom of the case and the components inside of it are very dirty and dusty.

It's also obvious that's a very old computer because of the IDE ribbon cables connected to the hard drive(s) and disc drive(s).

Unless you're insistent about using that computer again, it's probably time to give it a decent burial.

--------------------------------------------------

#19 ·
The next step is to swap parts with known good units. I agree; any system with ide stuff it NOT worth putting any money into repairing. SATA made it's debut in approx 2000 and very shortly after that, everything went to sata type connections. This system is probably 20yr old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.