1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VGA Problem with Black Hawk Down

Discussion in 'Games' started by PCMan78, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I have a system here:

Celeron 2.4GHz
    512Mb PC133 RAM
    PC Chips MOBO
    80Gb Samsung 7200 RPM HD
    CD-RW Drive
    Windows ME
    DirectX 8.1
    PC Chips 64MB SiS315 4X AGP Video Card w/TV Out

I believe I have DirectX 8.1 or either 9.0b. Not sure. Anyway, I tried to install them both and have the same problem, Black Hawk Down doesn't play properly. Return to Castle Wolfenstein plays fine on low resolution or mid resolution, but BHD is choppy and some objects turn solid pink on low resolution with low detail ...etc. The game is real slow. All of the drivers should be correctly installed b/c it was a fresh format and install of Win ME, then I went to installing the VGA drivers, Mobo Drivers, ...etc. I checked device manager for conflicts, None. I don't understand how RTCW can run perfectly and BHD runs very slow. I thought that maybe the chipset on the VGA card was not compatible with BHD (Just my guess). Any advice?

2. RSM123

RSM123

To confirm your version of DirectX do this :

Go Start > Run > type DXDIAG. An interface will appear giving various specs on your setup. The DX version listing is at the bottom. You can also troubleshoot each aspect from here should you need to.

As regards your problem :

Have you installed any / all appropriate patches ?

Are you making sure all background apps are shut down before running the game ?

3. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I will check the Version. I installed the appropiate updates for Win Me. Do you think that the Chipset may not be compatible? It says on the back that the game will work with the following chipsets : Nvidia, ATI, ...etc. Didnt say anything about mine. Just curious if that is a case sometimes. Probably not.

4. bryan986

bryan986

your video chipset is pretty weak, but I dunno if weak enough to cause it to run like you describe

5. RSM123

RSM123

To clarify,

I meant have you installed any relevant patches for the game ?

Games are often released with numerous bugs which are fixed once people report them.

Suggest you check out the game site or any of the Delta Force Mod Sites as they have faqs / forums / downloads / and related links.

Though I've never played the Matrix game I have read many times that some people found the release version almost unplayable.

6. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I doubt that it is b/c my VGA card is too weak. Like I said, it plays RTCW Great. Fast and Sharp. That game requires some power too. The BHD game is set to low resolution and the graphics look bad (like a low resolution setting would look)(which also signafies that the game should allow the VGA card very low strain, enabling it to produce fast results), but it is extremly slow during game play. And like I said, some objects (mountains, ground) will turn a sold pink or purple color during game play and it not go away unless I restart.

7. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

rsm123, good idea. I will try that. Anybody have anymore suggestions. One more question. If I have DirectX 9.0b installed, I need to uninstall it and install 8.1, huh? My VGA card will not work with 9.0 right? Thanks!

8. suesman

suesman

Just because "your card" doesnt support DX9, doesn't mean it won't run right using it. I would look into patches or updates for the game.

Also if your video card isn't listed as "compatable" with the game doesn't mean it won't work, more likely that they didn't test using it.

9. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I went ahead and formated the HD and did a clean install of WinME. I then installed DirectX 8.1 (which was reccomended by Novalogic on the box), then I installed some windows updates that I have on a disk. After that, I installed the one 10mb patch/update that Novalogic offers on their website for BHD. The game still plays the same. It opens up fine through the menus, but when I try to play the game, it is very slow (I mean very) and the whole screen will disappear and the re-appear (it looks strange) and objects will also turn solid colors (pink/purple). I don't understand what is going on. I did searches on the web and found nothing. There is threads that relates to "BHD down being slow" but the solutions were just "lower the resolution, or change the object details to low". I already know this and have done that. I do not believe that the problem is that the VGA card is not powerful enough b/c it plays great on RTCW and it also seems as if some update is missing somewhere else or something??? All VGA drivers are installed correctly, fresh format and install of WinME, fresh install of game with lowest resolutions possbile and detail, and patches installed. I don't know what to do. Tried my best. What could be the next thing that I could check? Thanks!

10. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

I switched the VGA card and the solid colors and "no gun or invisible objects" went away. Must have been the card or drivers. I installed a Nvidia Geforce2 MX400. Not much more, but it works great on RTCW, but plays very slow still on BHD. Everything is still set to low. Any Ideas?

11. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

It's funny. BHD and Battlefield 1942 plays slow, but Medal of Honor and Unreal Tournament 2003 plays fast. Aliens Vs. Predator 2 plays fast also on the Geforce2 MX 400 Card. Why, don't know. All the these games have about the same minimum requirements. The only game that is extremely slow is BHD. Don't know? I sold this PC to someone and I'm not sure what I will tell have to tell him. He will say that the card should be able to play the game because the system and the card meets the minimum requirements. Any suggestions?

12. RSM123

RSM123

Just my opinion - but regarding the minimum specs for games as quoted by the game designer, they are being somewhat 'flexible' here. That is to say, they perhaps did get the game to run at the min. spec. but with what sort of resolution, object detail, draw distance, sound quality, etc ....? They want to sell as many units as possible and if they were to say 'In order to play this game on max settings you need at least an Intel 2.8, 512mb Ram, and a Radeon 9800 Pro' - how many people would part with their money - especially as the game will be in the 'bargain bin' in a matter of months ....

If you want to get more feedback on making sure your system is tweaked as far as it will go to get maximum enjoyment from your games then read and if need be post at these sites forums :

http://www.hardocp.com

http://www.overclockers.com

http://www.techimo.com

There are many avid gamers, overclockers there who would be only too willing to give you a few pointers.

As regards apparent inconsistencies in game performance I think this is to do with the respective game engines ie Quake Engine, Vortex,etc as well as features like Anti Aliasing. If you read reviews on the latest cards - some cards give faster frame rates on RTCW or MOHAA, while others are ahead on Vice City, or MS Flight Sim 2003.

I'm not by any means overly familiar with the mechanics of how games are written but hopefully the above might give you some clues as to what your next step would be.

Note - to enjoy this post at max resolution please view on a 3.2 Ghz Xeon with at least 3 GB DDRam, and a Radeon 15800 Graphics Card :D

13. RSM123

RSM123

Just been looking on Google - you might care to check out the forums at these sites :

http://www.df3.net/

http://www.landwarrior.org

They have sections for BHD and for Bugs in the various DF games. Read and if necessary post there to get your prob. sorted out.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice