1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VGA screen to a DVI graph card???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aussie_Dundee, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aussie_Dundee

Aussie_Dundee Thread Starter

Is it possible to buy an adapter to hook up my tft or crt monitor which has vga connection to a graphic card that has only 2xDVI outputs??

2. 00trav

00trav

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    A simple adapter cable will not work if outputs are specifically described as DVI-D, which only has digital video.

4. 00trav

00trav

it depends on the video card, but most video cards will work with the adapter
    in fact a lot of video cards come with them.

hell for 2 bucks, go to radio shack and just see if it works.

but you are correct certain cards will not support it.

5. Aussie_Dundee

Aussie_Dundee Thread Starter

True. the adapter is cheap aenough to throw away if it doesnt work. But the graph card that i intended to buy might be a larger waste of money if in case it doesnt work. My monitor has a vga connection.

So if i see that the graph card is DVI-D then i need to stay clear of it... anything else to stay clear of? or more specifically what am i looking for to make sure that dvi output is able to be converted with an adapter to a vga screen?

6. 00trav

00trav

if you are buying a new card, just buy a card that comes with an adapter, it should list it in the specs

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    A video controller with a DVI-I output has both analog and digital video outputs. The VGA adapter just picks off the analog video plus the digital Horizontal and Vertical Sync lines.

Try a Google image search for DVI-I and you should be able to find pictures that show the differences between DVI-D and DVI-I output connectors.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice