1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vga.sys corrupt file (help please)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by paflyersgal, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paflyersgal

paflyersgal Thread Starter

I am trying to upgrade my Win98 to Winxp Pro. Its goes through everything just fine until the first reboot then says "VGA.SYS File is Corrupt" and exits the install. Can anyone help me? I don't know much about computers, so I need a dummies guide to the problem.

Thanks!

2. slingshotter

slingshotter

Hi, and welcome to the TSG forums.

Sorry to say, this will require a LOT more than ANY "Dummies..." guide could tell you.

What kind of system do you have? How old is it? What speed is the processor (aka the CPU)? How much RAM does it have? Is the video onboard, or is it a separate card?

When you began the install, did you tell WinXP to use the FAT32 file system, or did you allow it to change to the NTFS file system?

You wrote this:

I am trying to upgrade my Win98 to Winxp Pro.

Looks like you are trying to save your old information, and have WinXP install itself on TOP of Win98; is that correct, or did you wipe the hard drive to do a fresh install of WinXP? Do you have a BACKUP of all of your old data, or did you just decide to take your chances and trust WinXP not to screw things up?

Please post your reply here, and let's see what we can accomplish with this. The chances are you've LOST all of your old data, but if nothing else, maybe we can get XP to do a CLEAN install, so you'll at LEAST have a working computer again.

Good luck - hope this helps.

- slingshotter

3. DCplin

DCplin

The File "VGA.SYS" is Video Init NT Kernel driver. The error message you are recieving could be due to the Windows XP installation CDs. You cannot use an OEM version of Windows XP slipstreamed with Service Packs. The installation process will appear to work, but after the first reboot during installation the installer will abort saying, "The file vga.sys is corrupted". For an OEM installation of Windows XP, your only option is to apply the service pack after installing the OS."

Try using a Retail version of Windows XP Cd to resolve the issue at hand.

You can crosscheck if your Computer is upgradable to Windows XP too.

- Windows XP Professional System Requirements

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx

Hope this information helps,

DCplin

4. slingshotter

slingshotter

DCplin:

Good post; now I have a question for you:

You posted this:

The File "VGA.SYS" is Video Init NT Kernel driver. The error message you are recieving could be due to the Windows XP installation CDs. You cannot use an OEM version of Windows XP slipstreamed with Service Packs. The installation process will appear to work, but after the first reboot during installation the installer will abort saying, "The file vga.sys is corrupted". For an OEM installation of Windows XP, your only option is to apply the service pack after installing the OS."

Where did you locate that? If it isn't on the 'net, what document did you extract that from? Can you post a title or an author or ISBN number or ANYTHING helpful, so I can track down a copy for myself?

Thanks for your time; see you in the ether.

- slingshotter

5. DCplin

DCplin

Slingshotter, Sorry about the delay in response...

MOre information on this ..

When you install Windows XP on a computer from a Windows XP OEM CD that is using an unsupported video adapter, Windows Setup installs a standard VGA mode driver. Under some conditions, the new OEM video drivers may cause problems, or cause your computer to stop responding (hang). Because of this, you may need to remove the OEM drivers and revert back to using the Microsoft Standard VGA drivers to help determine if the OEM drivers are causing the problem.

* The default VGA Kernel driver (vga.sys) is used with display settings 640 x 480 with 16 colors.
    * If you press F8 and choose Enable VGA Mode on the Windows Startup menu, Windows starts with a screen area of 640 by 480 pixels with low 8-bit color and uses a potentially OEM-provided video driver

You can uninstall OEM video drivers and force Windows to use the Microsoft Standard VGA drivers

Details ..

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;268852

The System State - namely Memory and Video settings are possibly the Primary causes of the issue.

" ... If the OEM video driver fails to load, typically because the video hardware for the OEM-specific driver is not installed, the OS attempts to load the VGA Save Driver, Vga.sys ... "

Details ..
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...ry/en-us/xpehelp/html/xeconheadlesssystem.asp

" ...You cannot do this with certain OEM versions of Windows XP (I am unsure about Windows 2000). The process will appear to work, but after the first reboot the installer will abort saying, "The file vga.sys is corrupted". .... "

Details ..
    http://unattended.sourceforge.net/os.html

A Forlum discussion on Creating Windows XP OEM Slipstreamed with Service Pack .. clearly points that the person had a hard time trying to create one.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/...493758+1093641418299+28353475&threadId=236100

I hope this information helps,

DCplin

6. slingshotter

slingshotter

First-class job, DCplin. Are there any little "disciples" running around; if so, I hope you've got them learning Perl or Python by now!

See you in the ether, and thanks for your time and efforts.

- slingshotter

7. DCplin

DCplin

You are welcome..! Thanks for the kind words, slingshotter

DCplin

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/266932