Solved VGA to HDMI Display Adapter

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

agent_washingtub

I have 2 TVs currently serving as my screens. I've lately been helping family and friends fix small issues on their computers. I've come across a few PCs that have only a VGA Display Port, while both of my screens only have HDMI ports.
I asked someone at a local parts store, if a wire that is VGA male one side and HDMI male the other, would do the job. He told me in long detail why that would never work, that I needed a signal converter to change the display signal.
Basically he said when adapting a VGA screen to a HDMI port was possible, and the reverse (HDMI screen to VGA port in pc) is not.

My question is, if I bought the cord linked below, would I have to do anything else other than just plugging it in? Or do I indeed need this converter I was told about?

Thanks in advance

http://www.amazon.ca/Accmart-Wired-...d=1447958998&sr=8-2&keywords=adapter+vga+hdmi

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You will need a signal converter of some type. A simple wire cable with different connectors on each end will not work. A VGA output has three analog video signals. An HDMI input expects all digital signals.

agent_washingtub

Thanks for the speedy response. Would you be able to give me a link to an appropriate signal converter, just to give me an idea of what exactly I'm looking for?

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I've never had the need to use one, myself, and am not in a position to recommend any particular brand or model. Since you originally posted a link to an item on Amazon, I am including links to a few items on Amazon that MAY work for you. You should evaluate all the reviews before making any purchase.

This one uses a USB port on the computer for power and you should not need anything else if the six foot length is long enough for you. You can also feed the computer's audio output into the cable to use the TV's speakers.
http://www.amazon.com/Sewell-Direct-SW-30510-Active-Converter/dp/B00SVYXUR2/

This one comes with its own power supply, but needs all other cables.
http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Audio-1080p-Converter-Adapter/dp/B009L4X3ZA/

This one needs a power supply or a suitable USB connection to the computer and all other cables.
www.amazon.com/Portta-White-WSPETVHP-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00K3OP77Y/

In any case, these converters do not convert from one resolution to another. You need to make sure that your computer can output a VGA signal that is compatible with your TV's supported input resolutions (720i, 720p, 1040i, 1040p. etc.) and make sure the converter supports it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts