1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VGA to USB driver?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by k111_7h3_n0153, Mar 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. k111_7h3_n0153

k111_7h3_n0153 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I recently bought a cheap VGA to USB adapter for my Alienware laptop, but i bought it from a cheap Chinese website to avoid paying $50 for a name-brand one. Although, when i install the driver that comes with the adapter, it causes really weird graphical-errors on my computer. Google Chrome appears as a white box, every single game i have on Steam shows a black screen, and my Nvidia card acts weird too. After uninstalling the driver, the problems still existed. i had to do a factory restore to fix this. After that, everything worked fine again. I do not want to reinstall the driver, because i dont want to risk harming my laptop again. Does anyone have a link to a driver that can act as a replacement for this? Does anyone have a kind of universal driver that should work with any VGA to USB adapter? Or should i try reinstalling the driver, to see if it was just an error that occurred during installation?
    Thanks!
    Also, if you need me to post my PC specs, i can do that.

2. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Did you mean to buy an external USB video card? A USB port can't put out a video signal without some sort of graphics card technology. I don't think you mean that you want to plug a USB device into a VGA port, right?

You'll need drivers specific to the device. I'd be more concerned about the cheap hardware permanently damaging your motherboard or power supply.

3. k111_7h3_n0153

No, i already bought an adapter that plugs into my laptop via USB, then at the send of a cord that plugs into the USB is a box that the VGA cable from the monitor connects into. Here is the exact Ebay page i bought it from:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261606564443?lpid=82&chn=ps

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model number of that Alienware laptop?

What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on it?

What version and bit version of Windows is it running?

------------------------------------------------------------

5. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

That's what I was describing. I've never seen one that cheap. I would suggest buying a legitimate, name brand external graphics adapter.

6. k111_7h3_n0153

It's an Alienware 17. I really dont want to spend full price for something like that. i just want to be able to make due with what i already have.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How many monitors do you want to run? Does your laptop not have a video out port already? What's the exact model of the Alienware 17? Check the bottom or post the Dell Service Tag.

USB to VGA adapters generally work OK for basic stuff, they aren't as good for video and definitely not very good for stuff like gaming or 3D rendering tasks, the cheaper adapters are worse than the more expensive ones too.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank

Attached Files:

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So it has HDMI and DisplayPort for full graphics output support.

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I would actually recommend a DisplayPort to VGA adapter.

12. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

It seems that what you have isn't working. I don't know of a way to make cheap, bad hardware fully functional. Maybe others have better suggestions. Good luck!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144007

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice