VHS converter

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MyName

I have a HP Pavilion 775y. I'm interested in putting some VHS tapes onto my computer. I have an S-Video port on the back of my PC. Do I need to buy a converter (if so, what am I looking for) or just a cable to connect from the VCR to S-VIDEO? I don't know if I have that function on my computer, or if I need the converter. Can someone help me?

First you must find out if your computer supports Video-In capturing.

Most graphics units with an S-video jack will do Video-Out to a TV, but not all will do video both In and Out.

More info about your PC's graphics card or on-board graphics chipset is needed to determine if you have the capability.

MyName

Not sure if this helps, but I was looking at device manager:

NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X

If that doesn't help, just tell me where I need to go and I'll post back. Thanks!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You have S-Video out, no in. You need some sort of Video capture card.

FWIW, I just picked up the Adaptec VideoOn! DVD, model AVC-2200 USB 2.0 capture box on rebate at CompUSA today. I've yet to see any video captures, but it at least displays it in the preview mode. :)

i though i would jst ask something quickly......i want something like MyName wnats, btu i would like it to do audio cassettes. Is the any sort of USB tape player i could use?!?!

don't want the hassle of Line In and all that jazz

thanks

Dan

I use a TV tuner / capture card, called WinTV and made by Hauppauge.

You can get ones that install in a PCI slot, or ones that connect by USB port.

Any that have a video input jack will do. Audio gets hooked to the Line-In or Aux-In on your soundcard.

Cost will range from about $30 on-up for a tuner/capture card.

Here's some more ideas, any of these will work -
(if they have composite or s-video in, but you'd need s-video out on your vcr if you use that. composite video is normal RCA jacks, and your vcr should have composite video out for sure, unless it's really old...)

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?submit=list&catalog=47&DEPA=1&order=price&sort=asc

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...70649&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01054

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-10266&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_2&oid=29253

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-10266&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_6&oid=12923

Happauge is a very good Tv tuner card I used it before. Anyway, to record from VHS to PC, u really need a capture in device. From Cassatte to PC...if you have a dual deck cassette player you might want to put the RCA to MINI-PLUG connector from the tape deck to PC line in and then use a proggy like Goldwave, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video, etc. Just search for video editing progs...most can do sound too. I used a cheap little prog that came with my SBLive sound care...worked great (Wave Studio and Sound 'LE). Also, I asked if you had a Dual tape deck because you can put in your tape in deak A and in deck B you can put in one of those cassettes with the MINI-PLUG wire haging from it and just send it to your line in and record from there.

Hope it works out!

Yeah, I like it. I've had it for 3 years or so.
I wouldn't mind having a newer model with more features,
but this one keeps doing the basics just fine, so I'm content.

I have cable tv hooked up to my PC,
and also use it for capturing video from my VHS-C camcorder.
And a few times I've used it to use my camcorder as a webcam.

Cool, back when I had my WinTV card, I was able to find a few programs that allowed me to watch those "other" cable channels i didn't received because I was having problems with people stealing my cable...so sometimes i couldn't see certain channels like discovery...etc at certain times of the day. Later I found out y all thoses attena's where poiniting to the gray cable box outside my building...people could stael cable that way! Apperently the dedicated power of my comoputer and WinTV card help me to be able to view those channels.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online