1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

VHS image OK but no TV image

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Silvi, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Silvi

Silvi Thread Starter

I have my vcr connected to the TV. It's a TV/DVD combo. I have the antenna to the VCR/DVD, the RF OUT to the TV and the AUDIO/VIDEO cable OUT fom VCR/DVD to IN on TV. DVD's play perfect, VHS Tapes play perfect but I don't have TV image or sound so I can't record anything. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. TY:)

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Silvi, and welcome to TSG.

Does the TV have broadcast audio and video when the antenna is attached directly to the TV's RF input?

Does the VCR/DVD have a tuner section that can get the broadcast signals coming in through the antenna. An older unit may have an analog tuner and you may only have digital TV broadcasts at your location (where ever that may be).

3. Silvi

Silvi Thread Starter

Hi Chuck,
    Yes when the VCR is off the TV has a perfect image. I am actually in Argentina. I'm not sure about the "analog/digital" turner. The manual is in Spanish and there is nothing regarding that issue. Here the broadcasts are analog and digital.

4. buffoon

buffoon

Hi Silvi,

The fact that your VCR has an antenna input (and output) speaks for it containing some type of channel tuner (otherwise those connections would be totally pointless). It may be just an analogue tuner (older model?) but even then, seeing how you get broadcasts in both analogue and digital, it should at least pick up the analogue channels.

The question arising is: have you ever done a channel search on it? Like the TV, if not already preset at factory, it needs to be run to scan the bandwidth of terrestrial (or cable) signals and found channels need to be stored.

5. Silvi

Silvi Thread Starter

Yes I have done the Autochannel search but all I get is blue screens. It goes up to 125 but does not pick up anything, not even static. I even tried manual adding but could get a signal there either.

6. buffoon

buffoon

Well, that has me stumped. Your VCR obviously appears to have a tuner but I have no explanation why that picks up nothing, even if it were only analogue and analogue channels are indeed transmitted.

What make and model number is the VCR?

7. Silvi

Silvi Thread Starter

The brand is a local one GLOBAL HOME VCR & DVD

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Silvi...

Couldn't find the model of the vcr/dvd combo, but there should be a button on the front labeled TV/VCR make sure it is set to TV. That way you can view other channels while recording...

9. Silvi

Silvi Thread Starter

Hi !
    I just checked there in no button on the front of the VCR/DVD but there is on the remote I pressed it but nothing happens. I think I'll have to give up and get a new one but they aren't selling VCR's here anymore it's quite difficult to get one.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083629

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice