1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vice City grahpical oddities, please help!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by JMJ, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JMJ

JMJ Thread Starter

Okay, I have searched the forum and only one other person complained of this problem, but no one specifically told him how to solve it and he never posted again. Here's the problem:

When in the game, especially in/on a faster vehicle, the graphics can't update to keep up with me. Buildings and the road will be a blur, no detail to them. If I stop, after maybe 2 to 10 seconds, the detail will fill in. My settings are frame limiter OFF (It's unplayable with it on, very choppy), 1280x1024x32. BUT, it does it at any resolution and color depth (tried them all). It does it with both the original version and the patch. Right about now I'm feeling this was not $45 well spent :( The funny thing is, it worked fine with my GeForce 3 card, now I have an ATI Radeon 9600 PRO and I have issues. I have since done a complete format of my HD and a reinstall so it has nothing to do with the gta_vc.set file. Here's my system settings:

WinXP PRO, SP1
    DX 9.0b
    Athlon XP 2000+ CPU
    Audigy Gamer soundcard (latest drivers)
    512MB RAM
    Abit KG7 RAID mobo (latest BIOS and via 4-in-1 drivers)
    ATI Radeon 9600 PRO video card, Catalyst 3.7 Drivers (these are the latest) Antialiasing is OFF
    ALL shadowing in my BIOS is OFF

I think that's the essentials. I'm extremely disappointed, because I'm stuck with it and can't return it to the store. All they'll do is exchange it for the same thing (the CD's aren't broken). I can't run with the frame limiter on, it gives me a headache. It seems like it's 5-10FPS with it on. It's very choppy and things look like the "mouse trail" that you can turn on in your mouse properties. My only other option is to go back to the outdated GF3 card, but that runs all my other games very bad.

Thoughts? Please help......

Here's a picture showing how the road is a blur. The buildings are pretty much the same way (but not evident in this image)

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it.

2. McTimson

McTimson

You're right..the picture doesn't show it...

Make sure you have the latest patch for the game...

What happens when you try it with AA or AF turned on?

3. JMJ

JMJ Thread Starter

Take a close look at the road, you can see how it's a blur. I do have the latest patch (1.1 was all I could find, is there another?). With AA and AF on it's exactly the same. Take a look at this picture, you can't miss this one. This is the Malibu, you can see right through it, no definition to it. I sat there for about 5 seconds and the detail filled in.

[​IMG]

4. McTimson

McTimson

Try fiddling with the draw distance, see if that helps...

Or, you could just not drive fast.... ;)

5. JMJ

JMJ Thread Starter

I forgot to mention, it did this with the catalyst 3.4, 3.6, and 3.7 drivers. Should I try 3.2? I'd hate to go back that far.

THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!

6. JMJ

JMJ Thread Starter

Tried the draw distance to....no luck :(

Can't help the driving fast thing...just happens :D

7. JMJ

JMJ Thread Starter

Here's a good view of the hotel at the beginning....notice no detail.

[​IMG]

8. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Amazing, even the people have no detail. The car is missing a lot of detail as well from my experience with the game. Are you running in 32bit color? Wierd, I don't know why you're having this happen...

9. JMJ

JMJ Thread Starter

Yes, it was with 32 bit color (i've tried both)

Take 2 is telling me that it's not company policy, but most of the tech people recommend using an Nvidia card.

Very disappointing, I think that's probably the only way I'm going to fix this problem. :( I just bought the ATI card about a month ago too.

10. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

Put the screen resolution lower

and also how much ghz exactly?

11. JMJ

JMJ Thread Starter

Resolution does not affect the problem, nor does color depth. I have tried them all.

CPU is 1.67GHz
    video card is 400/300 (which is standard)

12. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

does this happen everywhere or only in one spot????

because my vc always lags at the big building that you had to

blow up with the helicopter

13. JMJ

JMJ Thread Starter

Everywhere.

I've given up. I'll probably just sell my ATI card and go back to an Nvidia card. That's what they recommended anyway. They said that ATI cards in certain configured systems cause problems that can't be solved.

Yes, I do have that bad of luck :(

14. McTimson

McTimson

You'll probably regret going to nVidia once HL2 and Doom 3 come out though..

Is it really that unplayable? I mean, if it doesn't affect the game, then I would just deal with it...unless it's actually affecting gameplay...

Have you tried contacting ATI support yet?

15. JMJ

JMJ Thread Starter

I don't play HL2 or Doom though. I pretty much play Ghost Recon/Rainbow Six 3, and Vice City. I'm older with 2 kids, my time is limited as I also have another hobby. Would love to get into those games, but my wife would kill me :D

It's not unplayable, just very, very annoying. Annoying to the point that I can't stand it. I can throw my GF3 back in, but I don't always want to do the swap between games....what a pain in the rear.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!