Vid Card Questions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RedOctober

I was looking for a new vid card to use on my comp and i was looking around ati and nividia. Can someone tell me whats the diffrence from AGP and PCI express
.I know nividia has a SLI system but dose Ati has a multiple vid card hook up as well.

Thanks

RedOctober

Usually you only have one choice. PCI express is the newest and better technology, and sometimes the cards actually cost less than AGP, but not in most cases.

SLI is a pci-x only technology.

By one choice is that most mobos are only AGP or PCIx, not both.

So, if you aren't buying a new mobo, and you only have an AGP slot, than you can only go AGP.

One question, are AGP becoming obselete or are the PCI? I was told it was the PCI, and that I would not be able to update unless I got an AGP slot for the upcoming AGP's.

PCI cards are old, PCI-Xpress are new. AGP is getting old with the new technology PCI Express. Newer graphics cards coming out are now primarily for PCIX.

You should look in to a mobo with PCI-X technology.

Ah, thanks iXneonXi, I was wondering what that was all about. Oh, and sorry for hijacking your thread, RedOctober :p.

PCI-X and PCI Express (PCIe) are *NOT* the same technology. Do not get them confused.

PCI-X is a 133MHz, 64bit version of standard PCI used in servers.

RedOctober

whats a mobo and dose ati have its own sli or multiple gpu system as nividia. How can i tell if my vid card is PCIx or AGP

Yah i just realised that, sorry bout that PCIe is pci express. my bad.
mobo= motherboard.

To see if your mobo is AGP or PCIe just use a program like everest home edition. On shopping sites like newegg in the title of the product it will say whether it is pcie or agp.

RedOctober

ok intel is coming out with a dual core chips and i think i want them what is the price range of these chips

I'd wait till they work out some of the issues, but I'm guessing brand new somewhere around $400-1000 range??

Dual-core processors won't run your games faster, games aren't optimised for SMP.

What do you mean how can I tell if my card is AGP or PCIe. Before buying you check the title, as for your motherboard, just check the manufacturer's website or use a program like everest home edition to give info on ur comp. You can also tell the difference just by loocking at your motherboard.

RedOctober

well i bought my comp at a store and i was wondering how can i look it up through windows or something.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online