1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Vid Driver Removing Cleanup Program?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Anchoret, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Anchoret

Anchoret Thread Starter

I'm having (surprise!) problems with an ATI PCIe card crashing video on my XP-SP3 box.

Fed up, I want to remove this thing and throw it away and revert to the on-board video which is adequate to my needs.

I want to strip ALL video drivers and related software off the machine and start clean with a new driver for the native video chip.

Somewhere -- maybe here -- I heard of a freeware download that would find and remove all video drivers, but I can't remember what it was. I used it on another machine and was surprised to see all the stuff it found after I had supposedly removed it.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Why not just go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall all of the ATI Catalyst stuff.. always worked well enough for me. ;)

3. Anchoret

Anchoret Thread Starter

It doesn't do it.

That's what I did previously...but when I ran this program, it found an amazing amount of junk left in from not only that ATI/Catalyst garbage, but every card I had ever used in the system, even though I had had "uninstalled" it and run registry cleaners, etc., etc.

4. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Ever heard of Revo Uninstaller?
    Its a good bit of software :)

And stay away from Registry Cleaners unless you want to do harm to your system.

5. Anchoret

Anchoret Thread Starter

I'll check it out. I think the specific one I was looking for was different and aimed specifically at video cleanup, but this one might work, too.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914692

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice