1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video 3dfx

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joetech, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joetech

joetech Thread Starter

Building new PC, ECS Mb,Pentuim4... Took Video card 3dfx 6001217 from Gateway PC. Will I have any problems using this Gateway card or the Gateway driver?

2. compilerxp

compilerxp

1 - 3DFX boards are no longer supported on NEW motherboards. PCI 3Dfx cards are OKAY to use.

2 - Using a 3DFX AGP card can damage both the motherboard and video card. Many motherboards have PROTECTION against this... but usually higher end models.

3 - Gateway doesn't make video cards. get driver from www.3dfx.com - follow links.

Here is your card: http://support.gateway.com/s/VIDCARD/3dfx/6001217/6001217tc.shtml

You CANNOT use it in a modern system. I have pretty much given away a 3dfx-3000 card to someone with an older PIII computer... But I need to get back my PCI version as its still usable.

Older KT333 (I think) or at least KT266 VIA motherboards (AMD chips) can safely use 3Dfx AGP cards... But for todays games, its no longer usable.

3. joetech

joetech Thread Starter

Is it usable on new (mainboard ECS P4VSASD2+ ) ?
    I don't want to damage a new board.

4. compilerxp

compilerxp

What does the manual say?

Do you have a products link?

5. joetech

joetech Thread Starter

The manual says...support for 4xAGP interface providing vivid 3D graphics and video performance.

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

Product link please from the manufacture of your motherboard, Google is not finding it. Model Numbers of products mean less than the CHIPSETS that are used on products (Ie: your video card is not made or supported by Gateway, but 3dfx)...

Youre missing something from the manual or its a far worse manual that usual. What you type is from the "feature" page it seems... but there is usually a detailed page about installing a video card with drawings on proper installation.

ECS is not a top brand company and locating their products is not quite as easy, nor knowing what parts they are using.

ASUS, MSI, Shuttle and some others have protection against the use of OLD AGP cards like Voodoo - they DON'T COME ON.

7. joetech

joetech Thread Starter

8. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

search for 3dfx zone on google they have better drivers

9. compilerxp

compilerxp

Your manual makes no note about AGP voltage limitations - so I would say that you should NOT have problems using your 3DFX video card - other than the abilty of stability with WindowsXP and all current "updated" drivers are not from the company itself... but they should be good.

note: If your board and video card do blow up - they should replace it as the manal does NOT state that certain cards cannot be used.

10. joetech

joetech Thread Starter

3DFX Specs link;
    http://support.gateway.com/s/VIDCARD/3dfx/6001217/6001217nv.shtml

Bus AGP 2X
    Card size Small form factor ATX/AGP
    Chip set 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
    Video RAM type 16-MB SDRAM
    Memory upgrade Not applicable
    RAMDAC 350 MHz
    Video core Processor 143 MHz clock speed
    Monitor compatibility All Gateway models except the LCD flat panel
    Enhanced drivers Windows 98, MiniGL, Glide
    Power 3.3 ± 0.5 volts
    Energy Star compliant Yes, DPMS
    Certification FCC Class B, WHQL, PC98
    ------------------------------
    Looks like I will need a new video card when I get a new
    flat panel monitor.

11. compilerxp

compilerxp

When you purchased that video card 4 years ago, many LCDs were DVI or some odd ball connector that Gatway had available.

Any LCD monitor should work fine for your card. Read the manal that comes with the LCD.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice