video camera capture question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

techguy41

i have a canon zr300 mini dv camcorder.
it can shoot in widescreen formatt, and everything i have shot is in wide screen, but when i capture it to my computer it stretches it and it looks funny. how can i make it capture my widescreen so it doesnt stretch my video up and down anymore?

Please Help
Thanks

LOL--thats because its fake 16:9---something that the consumer isn't aware of. They are essentially digitally stretching the video and thus you get that ugly distorted look. I think that the cheapest camera out there that actually has 16:9 chips is the Sony---and last I looked it goes for a little over 2000. You should shoot 4:3 and if you want a 16:9 'look" bring it into your NLE and composite some bars at the top and the bottom of the image.

techguy41

linskyjack said:
LOL--thats because its fake 16:9---something that the consumer isn't aware of. They are essentially digitally stretching the video and thus you get that ugly distorted look. I think that the cheapest camera out there that actually has 16:9 chips is the Sony---and last I looked it goes for a little over 2000. You should shoot 4:3 and if you want a 16:9 'look" bring it into your NLE and composite some bars at the top and the bottom of the image.
dude!!! this is a really good $600 camera. it has real widescreen, it shows the widescreen when i watch it on the camera, it just my program i have doesnt support widescreen, i just found that out, what program supports 16:9 widescreen.

You wanna bet--there is no 600 dollar camera with 16:9 chips. Let me give you an example. I own several cameras, one of them is Sony's PD-150----This cost me about 3400---great camera but fake 16:9 like yours. Okay---I don't know what "program" youi are using but try the demo version of Vegas Video out----Make sure you set your properties to 16:9 DV widescreen before dropping your fake clips on the timeline. Get ready for some major loss of resolution:

Using Imatest Digital Imaging Software to more accurately determine what the real resolution of the ZR300 is, we received the following results. In 4:3 mode, the ZR300 gave us approximately 282.1 lines of vertical resolution at its best, with approximately 501 lines of horizontal resolution, yielding a real resolution of 141,332.1. The ZR300’s widescreen mode gave us approximately 498.5 lines of horizontal resolution at its best, with approximately 267.4 lines of vertical resolution at its best, yielding a real resolution of 133,298.9.

If you dont believe me

Okay, first read this:

Using Imatest Digital Imaging Software to more accurately determine what the real resolution of the ZR300 is, we received the following results. In 4:3 mode, the ZR300 gave us approximately 282.1 lines of vertical resolution at its best, with approximately 501 lines of horizontal resolution, yielding a real resolution of 141,332.1. The ZR300’s widescreen mode gave us approximately 498.5 lines of horizontal resolution at its best, with approximately 267.4 lines of vertical resolution at its best, yielding a real resolution of 133,298.9.

Now go over to Sony Digital Media and download the demo version of Vegas Video 6.0. Before importing your clips into the NLE, go under properties and make sure you are set to 16:9 DV templete. Now bring your clips into Vegas----What you will get is an image that doesn't look as stretched but that has considerably less resolution--thus fake 16:9.

techguy41

linskyjack said:
Okay, first read this:

Now go over to Sony Digital Media and download the demo version of Vegas Video 6.0. Before importing your clips into the NLE, go under properties and make sure you are set to 16:9 DV templete. Now bring your clips into Vegas----What you will get is an image that doesn't look as stretched but that has considerably less resolution--thus fake 16:9.
there is no such thing as fake, 16:9 is 16:9, there is not 2 diff types. it has 16:9 widescreen, and it shoots in 16:9 widescreen, so how is it fake? it does everything 16:9, it has 16:9, how is that fake if it has it?

Hey, the proof is in the image. I refuse to debate this further. Have fun with your low resolution captures.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online