Video Capture Card Advice

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

belithrawien

I would like to save our families vhs home videos and have been looking for a video capture card. It is important that the resolution be very good, as 640 x 480 is too small. I have read some good things about canopus, with exceptional audio/video synchronizing. Is this a huge issue with the cards? If anyone here has some personal experiences with good/bad cards, I would appreciate you sharing your opinions with me, thank you.

I do not care about included software so much as the quality of the card, if it is internal or external, PCI , Firewire or USB --- unless that affects quality.

I am pretty sure my system is up to the task of any card, my specs would be -

1GB DDR RAM,
256MB DDR PCI-E Video (ABIT RX600 Pro-256PCIE )
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
OB AC'97 sound ( would a separate card synch better ? )

( I think those are the most important specs ? )

Thank you everyone :)

Bel

Do you think that you'd get more of a response in the Digital Photography and Imaging forum, belithrawien? If so, click the red triangle and ask one of the Mods to move your query there.

belithrawien

Oh thanks smeegle! I have to admit, I was unsure where this one should go., Appreciate the tip.

buck52

Banned
Not sure where it was to begin with but... Hardware or Multimedia seems much more appropriate... really nothing to do with Digital Phoptography & Imaging

Canopus is "state of the art" for capture---you will get 720x480 (thats normal NTSC size) so it will look good on your TV. Your system is definately equal to the job. You can save yourself a bunch if you have a DV camera that supports pass through-----Go from your VCR---to your DV camera to your computer via firewire. If not the Canopus box will work fine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online