1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Capture Device = Need Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BearKiller, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BearKiller

BearKiller Thread Starter

I have been using an iO-Data video capture device for several years = until now, always via a 32' "Active" USB cable connected to any of three different desk-top/tower computers.
    Doing thus, my colors have always been pretty good.

Then, a bolt of lightning took out my 32' USB cable; it is now as dead as 4-O'Clock (I have always been told that that is about as dead as it gets)

Until I can come up with enough money to get another cable, I came up with the bright idea to put a laptop where the far end of the cable had been, capture my video on the laptop, and then transfer it over to the desk-top that I have sort of dedicated as my video headquarters.

Using the laptop in thus fashion works out fairly well with one flaw; colors are not true; things that are light yellow on the TV screen are orange in my video; things that are orange are really orange; and, peoples faces, arms, and legs are reddish orange.

This problem is not restricted to viewing on the laptop; everything is orange when viewing on either of the desk-top machines as well.

I tried a different laptop and had the same problem, except maybe only 63% as bad.

Connecting the device to a desk-top and running a quality 50' RCA composite cable yields correct colors, but the video constantly has bars rolling up like our TV used to do when I was a youngster; this eliminates the capture device as the culprit.

All machines are Windows 7; one laptop is HP, the other Dell.
    Both laptops display photo images with true colors.

When capturing video, the heavy orange cast shows on the laptop screen during capture and stays with the file, displaying equally as orange on the other machines.

My question is, is there some way that I can take out this heavy orange color-cast so that the laptop does not produce an orange video ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are you using the exact same capture software on the desktop and laptops? If so, does the software have any color tint and saturation adjustment options?

3. BearKiller

Yes; exact same software from the same installation disc.

It requires two separate "programs" to capture video; ArcSoft ShowBiz 3.5 opens first and is the main capture and editor interface; when I click the "capture" button in ShowBiz, another window opens and this window has a drop-down menu where I select whichever capture device I am using.
    Drivers must be installed for each individual device; I first started out using EZ-Cap device a few years ago, but have found the iO-Data device to produce a better result, so I have been using it exclusively for quite sometime.

If there is any color adjustments, I have not been able to find them. >CORRECTION: I just did find something:

VideoCap_DefaultOptions_2018-07-06.png

I did not know it had this feature until just now; it was sort of hidden from people like me.
    To get rid of the orange cast, I guess I need to play with the hue and white balance sliders.
    I have no idea what that ColorEnable check-box and PowerLine Frequency(Anti Flicker) is all about.

Thanks and any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

4. BearKiller

Update:
    I played around with the adjustments and got the colors a lot closer to believable, but not as good as what I was seeing on the TV screen; good enough for a beginner and much better than what I had.

One huge drawback to the design of the adjustment window is that, contrary to the ideal, one cannot view the picture while the adjustment window is open; when the adjustment window opens, the picture goes away.
    It would sure help if I could actually see the changes I am making WHILE I am making them; as it is, it is like trying to make carburetor adjustments with the engine off.

Maybe I can find a different software that has a better adjustment option; does anyone know of a good, preferably free, one ?

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    If the colors looked good when you were using the software on the desktop, maybe you could try copying the color settings from the desktop to the laptop.

I don't know what the color enable checkbox does. I suspect that Powerline frequency setting lets you enter the frequency of your AC mains power (typically 50 0r 60 Hz, depending on the country) and the video capture frame rate will adjust to minimize flickering when viewing scenes illuminated by some types of AC mains powered light sources.

6. BearKiller

Thanks: I had not thought about the difference in Hz found in various areas and allowing for buzzing flickering fluorescent lights.

Absolutely no instructions ever come with these things and every word in and on the iO-Data box is in Japanese.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice