1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video capture??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thymekiller, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thymekiller

thymekiller Thread Starter

I am contemplating buying a geforce fx 5200 video card. It has an s-video connector. My question is, can I use this card for video capture?? I'm new to this, but I am looking for a card that will allow me to get videos from my VHS ccamcorder, and convert them into VCD's. I know I will also need software, but I just wanted to know if this card is capable of video capture?? Thanks for all input!!!
    thyme

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The FX 5200 card is descriptive of the chipset only there are many versions of the card. It is a "budget" video card.

Some will have Video In and Video Out (ViVo), but many will not.

Most will have just Video Out (TV Out).

Video in will work for capture and software should come with the card. My experience has been that the purchase of a TV card will give a video capture facility (on most TV cards) and that is usually easier to use than a combined Video/Video In capture card. Plus you get the advantage of a TV card.

3. thymekiller

so what exactly does the tv-out connector do???

4. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Allows the card to output video to a TV set.. But, because of the resolution of a TV set, and the scan rate conversion, it'll look like *@#$ compared to a good monitor.

5. thymekiller

Well, maybe this is a goofy question, but why would anyone want to output to a TV, after spending all this money on graphics for the computer?? I guess if thats all this thing does, then I'll not buy it. I'm looking for a good card for video capture from an analog camcorder. I was under the mistaken impression that if the card had an s-video connector, that I could just plug it into my camcorder, and capture videos from the camcorder. Guess I was wrong. Thanks very much for all the info.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

People use it to output DVD's to a larger screen. Its OK with a DVD, just lousy with text.

A card with ViVo also uses the S-Video type connector (they have extra pins though), and a special patch cable to interface the Video in and Out. You can't tell by looking if they have ViVo or just Vo (TV Out).

I have a GF4 MX460, a budget card but it has ViVo. I prefer to use the separate TV card I fitted for capture though, its a better capture result I find plus easier to use.

7. thymekiller

Thanks for the info!!! I have an HP Pavilion, P4 processor, 512 MB RAM, running XP home, 1 40 GB HD, and 1 60 GB HD. Can anyone recommend a good capture card???

8. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice