Video card advice, under 250$

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

oddling

Hello, I bought my last (awful) video card through the advice of this site, and I am hoping for some more help. This time I have 250 some dollars, though I'd like to keep it under 200 or so. I have a HP Paviliona1230n, with a AMD Athlon 3700+ (when I go to hardware it says it's a 3800+ which makes sense because they don't seem to make a 3700+...) 64, 1 gig of RAM and a mediocre AtTI Radeon XPRESS 200 integrated graphics. I can run Half-Life 2, Far Cry, and Doom 3 all fine, though I have to really tune down Doom 3's graphics and it still goes somewhat slow, but I want to be able to set the settings rather high, and get a steady 40+ FPS, and not have to worry about having a slow computer for a year or so. I earned this money shoveling snow in Detroit, so I'd be very grateful if you could help me make an intelligent purchase. I have alot of links from looking on Newegg, but I will wait to see if anyone has any suggestions.

A few questions, what makes a card good? I am not a total moron, but I was wondering, what does it mean if it has 256 MB of memory, but memory a memory interface of 128 bit? And core clock speed, there were cards with 520 or so core clock and 1200 memory clock speed, or so. What exactly do I want in a card in terms of specs? Thank you very much. (y)

I could go past 250, but I would have to save a while and I'd rather get some guitar equipment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131424
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102505
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814142052

Rukee

Banned
The video cards you listed are all PCI-e cards, not to be confused with a PCI slot. Need to know if you have a PCI, a PCI-e or an AGP slot on your motherboard to use for the new card.
When comparing the same kind of card between diffrent makers you look at the core and memory speeds and more is usually faster.

You have a PCI Express slot. No AGP.

If you want to spend $200, buy an nVidia 6800 GS or GT.

If you want to spend $300, buy an nVidia 7800 GT.

The 7800 GT is faster at very high resolutions, but most of the time it's the difference between a Corvette and a Ferrari. Both perform excellently.

You can't easily guess how fast a card will be based on specifications. Most people just pull up one of Tom's Hardware's massive comparison charts and pick the best performing card they can afford.

KRT

oddling

THANK GOD! I thought I had a regular PCI slot, or whatever, from reading the previous persons post, and I was going back and seeing everything say PCI Express and thinking, fudge... Thank you very much for the greatly appreciate confidence!

ya a 6800 would be a good buy i love mine get a evga they have great warrantys and you can change out the aftermarket cooler for a better one like the NV Silencer 5 in Rev.3 my 6800 never tops over 55c now with full load and i didnt even use as5.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online