1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MainFrame, Nov 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MainFrame

MainFrame Thread Starter

I'm shopping for a new video card and was wondering if I could get some advice. I don't know much about video cards and when i look at all the different brands and models I get confused. I'd like to know what features make one card better than another and what features would be best for me based on my using habbits(please don't name specific cards as I will make my own decision based on my budget).

I like to play video games, such as quake 3 and Nascar 4. I also design my own graphics for my website, digitally edit my photography and watch DVD's.

You needn't mention DVD decorder as a feature because I already know I'll need the card to have that. Plus my mother board has a 2x AGP slot that I will be using when I buy my card.

That brings up another question I have. I've notcied that there are cards out there for 4x AGP slots. I plan to in the near future get a new comptuer which will probably have a 4x AGP slot on it. Can I purchese a 4x card and have it work in a 2x slot(I know if it worked it would only work at 2x's), so I can put that in a new comptuer when I get it?

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

2. brianF

brianF

3. MainFrame

MainFrame Thread Starter

I appreciate the suggestion, but like I said I'd like to know what features of a card make one card better than the other. The card you suggested looks like a great card, but it's well out of my price range. Can someone else tell me what features to look for in a card?

4. Hanibal

Hanibal

Hi

get the gforce3 Ti 200 :)

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

Heck I'll give it a go. On board memory. 16, 32, 64 ? The more the better. The more memory the more heat. Heat sink / attached fan? Is your box cooled properly, is your power supply sufficient? Refresh rates 70Hz, 80, 100 ? Resolution maximum, 1024 x 768, 1280 x 1024, 1600 x 1200 ? Chipset, I won't even go into that.

Items that you want to think about, warranty, on-line support, driver updates, Microsoft compatible.

Now that I've rambled I'd open this up to other's recommendations. I run a Nvidia 64 MB MX / 400. It's a great card for me but I'm not a gamer. Ask the gamers here for their favorites. All of the above is useless info to some degree because all the top flight cards will produce. You need info on rendering aspects, etc. Hardcore gamers know this stuff, believe me.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice