1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

video card and power supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by habeansha, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. habeansha

habeansha Thread Starter

i am looking to get a new video card but i have no idea what kind of power supply i have and the if it can handle the graphics card. i am looking to get a GeForce 6200 because it seems to have a reasonable price and i dont think i would need any of the higher end ones because i dont play many graphic intensive games. does anyone know how to find out how much power the power supply can provide and if the GeForce 6200 is a good graphics card?
    thanks

2. Andy Booth

Andy Booth

Well it depends on the other components in your PC, as they all use it too. I would say anything over 400W should do the job fine though. Someone else may be able to back this up?

3. spoon_T_Rex

spoon_T_Rex

a 6200? No, it doesn't require an extra molex connector like the other 6xxx series cards do. It should be just fine with a 250 or 300 watt power supply. I guess it really depends on what's on your system, and all I'm getting at is that the card doesn't really pull much power as it doesn't have much, so it shouldn't be a concern. :)

4. spoon_T_Rex

spoon_T_Rex

Let me also handle this: If you take the side off your case and look where your power supply is (usually the top back, where ever you plug your computer in) it should say right on it it's wattage rating. If not,perhaps some documentation that come with your computer may enlighten you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/386024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice