1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video card blues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jusgotstunt, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jusgotstunt

jusgotstunt Thread Starter

If somebody (anybody) can help me with this problem, Good Karma will definately be headed your way!
    About a week ago my friend handed me a video card and said, "Here's a 64Mb video card."
    The only thing I know for sure about the video card is that I plugged it into the single brown (AGP?) port, plugged the monitor into that and the computer booted up, using a generic display driver, with a noticable upgrade in the display. The video card also has the name Samsung on all the chips and when the computer boots up it says:

PowerVR KYRO II Bios Rev 01.107 (64Mb)

I went to samsung and downloaded a couple of their drivers but they did not work.
    As far as I can tell Samsung does'nt really make video cards but made them for other companies such as Toshiba.
    When I do a search on the PowerVR KYRO II deal I get back some information about a "Hercules 3D Prophet4500 64MB Equium3300M."
    I tried down loading a driver for that but just before it installed it said I did not have that device.. .(or something like that.)
    All I know is that I've been dying to play my Max Payne 2 and Grand Theft Auto III and I think I could if I could only find the right kind of driver.
    If someone could help me with this I would be forever grateful!
    Thank-you for your time.

2. PcGrafix

PcGrafix

Take out the card and copy down the FCC ID Number
    Google search that Number you should get a dead on match for the product, Also make sure that you have disabled any onboard video in the bios of your computer as having two different video chipsets trying to run at the same time can cause you some really serious conflicts.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Samsung makes the memory on the card. If you want the driver, do as the previous poster suggested and google the FCC #.

Those cards are going on 3+ years old. If you want to play modern games, I think you would be better off with an ATI 9600 series card or even a GF4MX if you want a budget card.

4. jusgotstunt

ahh.. .There are 3 different sets of letters & numbers and I tried searching for each of them twice but nothing..
    A6-STG4500-A1
    AKYROA1N-64m
    HL1-VO94V-0
    (Pic too large to upload)

5. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

Aida32 might tell you what it is.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html

AIDA32 - Personal System Information 3.93
    AIDA32 is a professional system information, diagnostics and benchmarking program running on Win32 platforms. It extracts details of all components of the PC. It can display information on the screen, print it, or save it to file in various formats like HTML, CSV or XML. For corporate users, AIDA32 offers command-line switches, network audit and audit statistics, remote system information and network management.

Starting with version 3.00, AIDA32 is released in 3 different variants, Enterprise, Personal and network.

MBN

6. jusgotstunt

What I get from Aida32 is:
    ST PowerVR Kyro II Video Adapter
    ST PowerVR Kyro II 3D Accelerator

7. jusgotstunt

At last, I finally found a driver this video card would recognize.
    PowerVR KYRO II 32MB/64MB
    I tried a clean boot and loaded up Max Payne 2 and it played but got quite shakey when something was about to go down and during the cutscreens.
    It has alot of drivers to it. Right now it's using driver: C:\WINDOWS\gamestng.reg
    Should I continue my quest for "the most up to date driver" or does anyone know of any extra little tweeks I could use to my advantage?
    (Besides, suggesting a whole new card, something to which I do not have in my current possession.)
    Thanks!

8. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

Tweaks ,
    - close all other software not used when gaming ;
    - disable your virus scanner & don't forget starting it up again when finished gaming ;
    - install latest DirectX drivers ;
    - install latest chipset drivers , can be found on your mobo download page ;
    - if you got WinNT, w2k , WinXP , make sure your hard disk is using NTFS instead of FAT(32)
    right click on your drive letter ( C: ) , select properties & look for File system.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice