1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video Card broken?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maebach, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maebach

maebach Thread Starter

When I came back from University (for summer) I noticed that the basement computer was on. I asked my sister why it was on and she said she forgot to turn it off. it turns out the PC was on for 3 days as she forgot to turn it off. When I turn on my computer,it gets past the Windows XP boot screen and takes me to the menu where I can choose between safe mode, safe mode with networking, last configuration etc.

When I try to boot the PC normally, the screen goes blank (black screen) and the PC restarts. When I start it in safemode it works perfectly and I can work everything normally for a limited time. This morning I reformatted the PC and I installed the ASUS, soundmax and other drivers. When I tried installing the latest drivers for ATI it said I needed .net framework 2.0. So I opened Firefox and it froze.

I restarted the PC and it keeps freezing after loading into safe mode. Right now its frozen at the welcome page where i selected 'administrator'.

My video card is an ATI Radeon All in Wonder 9800 Pro. I think this could mean a video card problem, is there any other possibilty? The card has a fan on it so I find it difficult to believe that it over heated, but then again 3 days is alot.

Im going to turn it off and try again in a bit. Maybe it needs to cool down or something?

All help is appreciated.

EDIT: I opened up my PC and found that the fan on the card had broken off :/
    [​IMG]

EDIT 2: I replaced it with my older 7500 video card and reformatted. But for some reason while installing XP the pc freezes. It cant be the video card that's causing this to happen. Could it be the memory?

2. maebach

maebach Thread Starter

Alright. I just installed Ubuntu Linux and it is working perfectly. Its a bit slower than XP which is bothering me. Theres a bit of lag when theres multiple apps open.

I will get rid of linux and try XP again. I just tried linux to see if theres major damage to any components but it doesnt seem that way.

EDIT: I unplugged my 2nd HDD, 2nd CD drive, Floppy drive and took out my 2nd RAM stick. Im formatting now and will post when it gets to the installing stage.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/826247

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice