1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Video card causing BSOD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LQJackRabbit, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LQJackRabbit

LQJackRabbit Thread Starter

Hi I have been having a BSOD problem for about a year now. Recently I have installed Radeon Omega Drivers v3.8.252 to work with my Mobility Radeon 9000/9100 IGP series trying to fix some video problems and windows has now been able to detect that the cause of my BSOD's is my graphics card. I have learned that I shouldn't have upgraded my HP Pavilion zv5000 from windows xp to windows 7 ultimate, but since I did I am now trying to see if there is anything I can do to make it work/run better. I was having audio issues but I have fixed that and now all that remains is to fix my video card issues. When I do get a BSOD error I can see the code 0x0000008e. Or something like that, not sure how many 0's. Any info or help is much appreciated. If you need more info let me know.

Computer specs:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate , 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1151 Mb
    Graphics Card: MOBILITY RADEON 9000/9100 IGP Series (Omega 3.8.252), 3 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76308 MB, Free - 37509 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard , 089C, 31.43, CND5100G7HABCDEF
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the exact model number of that HP Pavilion zv5000 laptop?

If you don't know for sure, look at the sticker and advise what the product number and/or service tag number is.

---------------------------------------------------------------

It's never a good idea to upgrade to a newer Windows version or downgrade to an older Windows version without first confirming there are drivers for all of the computer's devices.

To my knowledge, the ATI Mobility Radeon 9000/9100 IGP graphics controller doesn't have drivers for Windows 7.

----------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, Windows 7 should have 2048 MB (2 GB) or more of RAM so your laptop doesn't run like a turtle.

3. LQJackRabbit

I believe the exact model number is zv5476cl
    p/n PR447UA#ABA

If that helps.

I realized I should have checked first just a bit too late. Back when I did it I wasn't tech savvy in the least. Now I got a better understanding of things though.

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the support site for the HP Pavilion zv5476CL laptop which you should add and save in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can refer to it when needed.

According to its product specifications section, it came with Windows XP Home Edition SP2 pre-installed.

It came with 2 - 256 MB modules, but only 1 module can be upgraded to a 1024 MB, so the most RAM that laptop can support is 1280 MB - which it already appears to have. A portion of the RAM is dedicated for use by the on-board graphics controller and the other devices, so that's why the full amount isn't shown and dedicated for use by the operating system.

The drivers section only has device drivers for Windows 2000 and Windows XP and not for Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Go into Control Panel - Device Manager. What's currently listed in these headings?

Display Adapters
    Network Adapters
    Other Devices
    Sound Video And Game Controllers

------------------------------------------------------------------

5. LQJackRabbit

Display adapters: MOBILITY RADEON 9000/9100 IGP Series (Omega 3.8.252)
    Network adapters: Broadband 802.11g Network adapter
    Microsoft Virtual WiFi miniport adapter
    Realtek RTL8139/810x Family fast ethernet NIC
    Sound, video, and game controllers: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

The soundmax used to be realtek ac'97 but audio didn't work and the fix I found on another forum was to install the soundmax.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You were fortunate in resolving the sound problem by getting the SoundMAX integrated digital audio driver to work, but I don't think you're going to be as fortunate with resolving the video problem.

It appears that the Broadcom 802.11g wireless adapter and Realtek RTL8139/810x wired adapter are both okay.

Click "Report" and then request to have your thread moved to the HARDWARE section, as you probably will get better help there.

Good luck.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice